Swollen Lymph Nodes

I have had a swollen lymph node in my neck for sometime. I didn’t think much about it as it hasn’t changed. However, recently I’ve been feeling really tired and have had a couple of unexplained bruises. I also have had a rash above my ankles for some time which I have recently read could be a sign of blood cancer. My brother was diagnosed with MSD 9 years ago but his blood tests haven’t changed in those 9 years. I had a full blood count test last April and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (now in remission) and I have noticed that my MCV is high (just over the recommended level) and my platelets are low (just lower than the recommended level) which is parallel to my brother’s bloods. Now obviously worried I too may have blood cancer but should I be more concerned because of this swollen lymph node? Coincidentally I have an appointment to see the doctor next week for something else and just wondering if I should ask for an emergency appointment? Any advice etc greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi @Amandabubble a great big welcome to our forum, I am so glad that you have found us.
Personally, and this is definitely not a medical reply, my GP’s guidelines are that a ten minute appointment is for just one medical issue.
However their appointment booking system is basically online now and opens at 7.30 on line and I quickly get on and then have a form to fill in online on which I fill in my symptoms and request either a face to face appointment or telephone appointment.
It might ask when I would like an appointment.
The request is then triaged by the surgery and the way forward is emailed, texted or phoned back to me.
For me it has worked very well.
Check out your surgery’s booking system.
People also take photos of bruises and rashes etc now
Now is the time to write down your symptoms, time you have had them, their severity and your family history and concerns so you are organised and ready to go.
You wonder if you should ask for an emergency appointment, my philosophy is if you don’t ask you don’t get.
Please do let us know how you get on and really look after yourself.

3 Likes

Hey there @Amandabubble, so glad you found the forum. Hopefully it’ll be of support to you.

While I found out last year that I have a different diagnosis to your brother, of Polycythaemia vera (PV), some of your concerns are very familiar. My diagnosis came about due to a close family member first being diagnosed with blood cancer which motivated me to be checked too. I later found out that our blood cancers are not hereditary and yet we both had uncannily similar types of Myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN). Thankfully no one else in my family has tested positive for the gene mutation indicating an Myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN).

Sorry to hear of your swollen lymph node. Hopefully it’s not painful. Mentioning it reminded me of a lymph node infection I had in recent years. It never led to any other diagnosis, and thankfully cleared up, but it’s another of the unusual infections I’ve had that maybe pointed towards my blood cancer (I also had a grim UTI). I think it’s wise to keep note of all your symptoms and take them to your doctor. These cancers may not be hereditary but we do grow up and live around the same carcinogens as our families.

So yes take all these concerns to your appointment next week, I’d say. Remind your doctor of your brother’s diagnosis too—that proved invaluable to my doctor testing me for the JAK2 gene mutation.

Keep us posted and I hope you get some clarity when you see your doctor.

2 Likes

Hi Erica. Thank you for your reply and support. Your doctors sound a lot better than mine! I rang this morning but all emergency appointments had gone and was asked to ring again at 8.30am tomorrow. If I do an online form they take 5 days to reply! Very frustrating when all I would like is a blood test! I will try again tomorrow but I am so pleased I already have an appointment. I’ve been pretty laid back about it but for some reason it hit me yesterday. I haven’t told anyone except my husband as I’m sure (hope) it’ll be nothing. Thank you again. :blush:

3 Likes

Hi Duncan
Thank you for your reply and sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope that you’re doing ok. I read that if a close relative has it you’re less likely so I thanked my brother for taking one for the team :wink: But then I read the opposite but I will definitely tell the doctor. I have downloaded the symptoms form from here and have filled it in. Feel a bit stunned at the moment especially when I read about the rash! I’m going to ring the doctors again tomorrow and hopefully they’ll send me for blood tests - if I get an appointment! Thanks again :blush:

3 Likes

Aw you’re welcome. I’d say try not to believe the worst because until there’s any diagnosis you may well just have symptoms of something less scary. Stunned is a great way of describing these medical shocks and worries. Perhaps give yourself a break, share your worries with loved ones if that feels right, and think positive as it could be as simple as a passing infection. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, @Amandabubble!

2 Likes

Hi @Amandabubble just to clarify my GP’s Online service says they will get back within 3 days and I think that is to cover themselves as they have always got back by lunchtime.
Yes, emergency appointments can only be booked on the day and in my experience you have to get online or on the phone as the surgery opens, otherwise it is an external walk in centre/clinic or A&E as it is an emergency and the GP surgery is at full capacity.
Also going back to the leg rash you describe mine turned out to be a heat rash, a friend’s was her soap powder and another time new socks.
Please do let us know how you get on and take care

2 Likes

Hi!

Unfortunately no blood tests available until next Tuesday :pensive:

3 Likes

Ah yes the waiting game. Patience is definitely helpful when it comes to awaiting these appointments and their results! Still keeping my fingers crossed for you, @Amandabubble.

3 Likes

My fasting blood tests are not till the 12th March @Amandabubble.
As @Duncan says yes, patience and waiting is certainly needed and I am not a patient patient!!!
Be kind to yourself and please do let us know how you get on.

3 Likes

Just a quick update. I saw the doctor today and he thinks I may have long covid given how rare blood cancer is. He isn’t worried about the rash on my legs (tbf that’s been there a long time and I’ve had blood tests since then) and as I had Covid in December he thinks my symptoms point to that. Blood test tomorrow to rule out blood cancer we :crossed_fingers: Think I’d prefer long Covid to cancer tbf :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

Oh @Amandabubble that is a turn up for the books, please tell us the outcome after your blood tests tomorrow.
Really look after yourself and thanks for letting us know

2 Likes

Hi again

I’ve had my blood test results and most things show within normal parameters apart from my B12 (and folate) which is showing high and IgM is low

My mcv is on the high side of normal and my platelets are on the low side of normal which is the same as a year ago.

Not sure it’s a good thing seeing your blood results before the doctor analyses them!!

2 Likes

I think you are so right @Amandabubble
Yes, modern technology has it’s pros and cons.
I am certainly not a medical person, but I do know personally I would prefer that my doctor saw my tests first and put their comments on them before I saw them, they know my whole medical history.
It’s personal I suppose.
Look after yourself

2 Likes

My doctor says that my blood tests are all within parameters. I am relieved and maybe I do have long Covid :woman_shrugging:t3:
Thank you for your support through this trying time and I wish everyone all the best.
Take care x

2 Likes

So just had a text saying doctor wants to talk to me about my blood tests - although not until 28/3. Weird when yesterday they said they were ok! :woman_shrugging:t3: Just rang receptionist and they’re not sure why either!

3 Likes

I’m just catching up on this chat and as I’ve come to the end I was frustrated that you still have to wait for an answer about
Your blood test. I would assume that if it was urgent they would have got you in straight away.
Please keep us updated on how you get on x

3 Likes

This seems like great news @Amandabubble, having all blood test results within normal parameters would be my dream feedback! But I understand why your anxiety continues, especially with such a long wait to hear back from a doctor. And of course long COVID is nothing to celebrate—I hope you find ways to tolerate any symptoms you’re living with.

I second @Nichola75 in suggesting that you try to trust that you’d be seen far sooner if any findings were urgent. Treatment for cancers are typically started within a fortnight of diagnosis in the NHS, or at least from what I’ve been told and experienced.

Now is the time to find diverting activities, treat yourself to some relaxation, and practice tolerating the space in between now and speaking to your doctor, annoying as that all is. You’ve found the right place to share as we all know these sorts of worrying waits, so please keep us posted.

3 Likes

Oh @Amandabubble it really is an emotional rollercoaster isn’t it.
Please do let us know how you get on and be very kind to yourself

3 Likes

A message came up on my My Chart app which has since gone! My understanding from the brief read is that the doctor contacted the immunologist about my low IgM. He basically said depending on other symptoms it’s probably all ok but in very rare cases it could be myeloma with the emphasis on rare. So I’m thinking it is highly unlikely to be myeloma hence not the urgency but they just wanted to check in on me if a few weeks time to see how I’m feeling.

Thank you everyone for being so supportive and allaying my fears. It really is a roller coaster of emotions! I feel like I’m making a fuss and obviously don’t want anything to be wrong but you know in yourself when something’s not right so I’m pleased the doctor is keeping a check on me - said to my husband, it’s a miracle!! :blush:

4 Likes