Travel insurance with CLL

Hi, I wonder if anyone on the forum is able to help. My wife and I are travelling to the USA in April. My wife has Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and takes Ibrutinib daily to maintain her health, and is currently in good remission with normal blood counts. Staysure, and other insurers, ask the question “are you currently undergoing treatment or is any planned”. Can I answer “No” to the question? The premium doubles if I answer “yes”! Any thoughts/guidance would be welcome! Thanks to all and to BCUK.

1 Like

Hi @Rolee5 welcome, I am so glad that you have found us.
My opinion is completely personally based.
Staysure does give Blood Cancer UK patients a discount, I attach a link
Blood cancer travel insurance with Staysure | Blood Cancer UK
I have to point out that other companies do offer people with pre-existing illnesses cover.
I would have to say that in my book honesty is best for me, I would not like a claim turned down, especially in the USA.
I feel with Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) our immune systems are usually compromised so I am more susceptible to infections etc.as well.
Insurance companies assess the risk involved and base their quotes on that I am afraid.
Your wife could discuss the issue with her consultant for their opinion…
This is not the answer you were hoping for but my personal opinion.
I hope you do get to the USA and have a brilliant time.
Look after yourselves

1 Like

Hi Erica, that’s helpful. I guess my thought process was that if my wife had gone through the chemo route for treatment and had arrived at the same place as a result, i.e. in remission with normal bloods, then i could truly have answered “no” to the insurer’s question. However as Ibrutinib treatment requires a daily tablet to reach the same outcome, it muddies the water as to whether it’s ‘treatment’ or simply a means to means to maintain a healthy position, similar to, say, taking a daily tablet for cholesterol or high blood pressure. It’s just not clear alas. Like you i share the need for transparency with insurers. Thanks again.

1 Like

I agree with @Erica . Insurance companies have been known sadly to avoid any claim if they can. I declare absolutely everything that they might find on my medical records as they will obtain them in the event of any claim and if there is something on there I have not declared that will invalidate my insurance. We are currently in Europe for three weeks and was able to get insurance for a reasonable rate and I am still awaiting biopsy outcomes so that bumped it up.
Have a wonderful trip when it comes around.

2 Likes

@Rolee5
Hi, firstly I’ve not got Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and secondly I’m a home bird so passports and travel insurance are not in my thoughts, however

I have Waldenstroms Macroglobulinemia (Waldenström macroglobulinaemia (WM)) treated with Rituximab and now daily Ibrutinib.

On the completion of Rituximab my paraprotein was at an acceptable level and the Consultant and CSN’s used the remission word. Having had Hodgkin Lymphoma back 1984 there the ‘R’ word was not even whispered until at least 5 years clean. I’m now 40 years on so that would test the insurance companies algorithms.

But back to today and my daily Ibrutinib. I like you question is there a critical medical difference in Medicinal Treatment (Rituximab) and Ibrutinib, is the later a Paraphylaxis?

Waldenström macroglobulinaemia (WM) is not curable, like many BC’s but manageable so what ever description the Doc’s use I fear the “we won’t take a risk” insurance companies pick whatever interpretation that suits them.

I’ve met fellow Watch and Waiters being blocked on innocently declaring they have BC when monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) is not accepted as a Cancer, solely a potential precursor. Being honestly yet ignorantly declaring can be something to obtain sound independent advice for.

It’s a lawyers dream if anyone went that far. I hope you can get a ‘reasonable package’ arranged. Be interesting to hear your progress on this touchy subject.

Safe travels.

Iain

2 Likes

Hi Erica. Thanks for advice on travel insurance. I went with Staysure and decided it wasn’t worth the risk to go with what I believe was correct, and swallowed the larger premium! I don’t know if it’s worth BCUK flagging more widely to those of us who regularly follow BCUK via social media or forums, that the Staysure discount gets no where near the headline 15%. On our £650 policy the discount was 2.3%. Notwithstanding, Staysure’s 12.5% donation to BCUK is welcome! Thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks for highlighting this @Rolee5 I will copy this to Blood Cancer UK @BloodCancerUK

Hi Rolee5. I’m currently on daily venetoclax tablets for my Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). Planning on travelling to Spain in May but was not sure how much travel insurance would cost. My bloods are nearly back to normal and I’m feeling great. Thanks for your update, will get a quote tomorrow.

1 Like

If you have trouble getting travel insurance, you can get a list of insurance companies who offer insurance for anyone with health problems, from the governments money helper website, the list also shows which screening software each company uses, so if one company will not cover you, look for a company that uses another software and you may have a better response.

1 Like

Oh @timstickland thanks for posting, you have just shown one of the bonuses of our forum with your reliable information.
Look after yourself and please do keep posting as I look forward to hearing more about you