What do you think/feel when you hear the words clinical trial?

Hi good questions @patmroberts and I am sure there are others in the same boat.
Blood Cancer UK have worked with Staysure insurance company and if you were to contact them mention the code BCUK15.
As for if you were to consider going on a trial that would be a question for your treatment team and the insurance company.
If you wanted to talk to someone in the Blood Cancer UK trials team please ring the Blood Cancer UK support line on 0808 2080 888.
Please let us know how you get on and take lots of care

2 Likes

15 yrs ago I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia. I met with a consultant haematologist, who mentioned going on a trial. Trial 15. I shot him down in flames, saying ‘I don’t want a trial, I want something that works!’
I had no experience of any cancer treatments & was totally ignorant about trials.
I went on the trial & went into remission after the first round, the best possible outcome, however, all my 6 & 9 chromosomes had changed places & I had the worst prognosis for recurrence, so was put forward for Stem cell transplant.
Who knows if the outcome would have been different if I’d not been on the trial? But I do know that I’m last man standing out of 3 of us who went through the treatment at the same time. The only difference I have been able to quantify is that we all had different approaches to the Stem cell transplant, all with different ailments caused by the Acute Myeloid Leukaemia & I was the only one who’d gone into remission after the first round of treatment.
All I can say is any advances in treatment have to be trialled for the benefit for others.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for your honest and factual post @Corfu80 Look after yourself

1 Like