Worried about my mum

My mum was diagnosed with high grade non Hodgkin’s lymphoma back in March and had 3 weeks of radiotherapy. She has been relatively well recently until being admitted to hospital today with chest pain. I’m just so so worried that the cancer has spread. She is prone to blood clots but the doctors don’t think it is that causing the pain and thinks that it is related to her blood cancer hence her being transferred to the haematology ward. There was also mention of possible chemotherapy. Can this year get any worse. And I’m in a tier 3 so cant visit her :cry::cry::cry::cry:

2 Likes

So sorry your mum, and you, are going through this. She is in the best place and I am sure they will do tests to get to the bottom of the problem. It must be so upsetting and worrying not being able to visit your mum. Thinking of you xx

1 Like

Oh @Smurf08, you are in such a tough situation with lockdown and all I can say is that your mum is in the best place and being looked after.
This is easy for me to say but please try and look after yourself, as you say you obviously cannot visit her currently.
You have got us to support you through this time and if you would like to talk to someone you can contact our Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-1pm Saturday and Sunday) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk.
Please let us know how you and your mum are doing.
Stay safe.

1 Like

Hi @Smurf08, I can only imagine how difficult all of this is for you and you must be so so worried. Are you able to communicate with your mum at all? I hope so. As @Erica said, the support line is there if you need it. Have you got people who can support you? I hope the doctors are keeping you updated. Remember to write down all off the questions you want to ask, I always find this really useful. Please take care of yourself and keep posting. Sending lots of special wishes x

1 Like

@Smurf08
Hope your Mum’s ok.
Just remember if you have questions make sure that the medical team listen & answer you. Be stubborn & bolshy if you need to. Cry if you want to. Let them know you are there for your Mum & need to know what’s going on because you can’t be by her side, in normal circumstances, you would be.
Hang in there.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone, you are all so lovely. My mum has her phone with her so communicates regularly. Trying not to get carried away with myself and thinking the worst. Sending love to everyone else that is going through a similar situation. Xx

2 Likes

Oh, @Smurf08, I am so glad that you are in regular communication with your mum, it must be a comfort to you. Please keep updating us how you both are.

I will do, thank you. There is mention of my mum getting chemotherapy but she is still waiting to hear for definite from the doctor :cry::cry::cry:

1 Like

Make sure you keep us updated on how you are both doing X

1 Like

Hi @Smurf08, thanks so much for the updates, I wait more.

Not good news. My mums cancer has spread to her lung and she is to get 6 rounds of chemo. It is heartbreaking not being able to visit her and for her having to deal with this news on her own. Had a good cry with my Dad earlier. Very annoyed at the hospital not phoning to explain things to us. We have only heard the news through my mum texting. I have phoned and am waiting on the doctor phoning me back.

Would this be classed as advanced cancer if it has spread from the base of her tongue to her lung. Its high grade NHL she has. Honest answers would be appreciated. Thanks for listening xx

1 Like

@Smurf08 truly sorry to hear you and your family are going through such a difficult and worrying situation, I can only imagine how tough it must it be right now, especially not being able to see her.
Really hope the doctor gives you a call soon so you can feel more informed.
In case it’s helpful, we have a booklet on High-Grade NHL, here - https://media.bloodcancer.org.uk/documents/High-grade-non-Hodgkin-lymphoma-NHL-Blood-Cancer-UK-info-booklet.pdf There is some information on what is classed as advanced NHL on pages 5 and 34, though your mum’s healthcare team would absolutely be best placed to talk to you about your mum’s individual clinical circumstances. Some people find it a good idea to write down all of their questions before face-to-face or phone appointments, as sometimes there can be a lot of information and it can be easy to forget everything you want to ask.

If you want to chat with someone on our support team, feel free to give us a call on 0808 2080 888 or send me a message and I’ll arrange for someone to give you a call. We are only a phone call away. I’ve got everything crossed for your mum.

1 Like

Oh @Smurf08, it must be so heart breaking for you all, especially in Covid lockdown times. At least you and your dad can be there for each other.
I honestly cannot answer you questions, your mums medical team are the ones to answer your questions.
You ask for honest answers and perhaps tell the doctor that when you speak to them and write down everything you would like answers to.
I know it is easy to say but your mum is in the best place.
We are all here for you all and please keep posting.

I’m sorry to hear that @Smurf08. I really hope you get what you need when you speak to the doctors. I can completely understand how worried you must be about your mum. Have you managed to speak to her? X

1 Like

My mums consultant phoned me and the cancer hasn’t only spread to her lungs but also to her liver and spleen. Just can’t take it in, doesn’t feel real. She has been started on chemo and will have a further 5 cycles of it :cry::cry::cry:

1 Like

Hiya
Yes I’ve spoke to her on the phone, she is sounding ok considering x

1 Like

@Smurf08, I am glad that you have had the opportunity to talk to your mum’s consultant, you must be in shock because so much is happening so quickly.
I am so glad you have been able to talk to your mum too.
Your mum has a treatment plan, so please try and look after yourselves, you are doing so well.
Don’t forget if you would like to someone you can contact the Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-1pm Saturday and Sunday) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk.
We are all here for you.
Take lots of care and keep posting,

I’m glad you got to speak to your mum and I’m sure she was just as glad to hear your voice too. Please take care of yourself and your dad. We are all thinking off you and sending special wishes x

1 Like

Gosh @Smurf08 I can only imagine how worrying and upsetting this time must be for you. I really hope the chemo goes as well as it can for your mum, really glad you’re managing to speak to her over the phone. How are you and your dad coping?

1 Like

We are all doing ok, think it will really hit us when my mum gets discharged and we see her for the first time after her getting the news that it has spread. The doctor was going to have a good look at her scan to see if the cancer has spread to her bones coz her pain is still quite bad. Please please don’t be the case :cry::cry:

It all feels surreal, I actually cant take it in.

Thanks to you all again. It’s nice to speak to people that are not family or friends.

Xx

2 Likes