Hello...my first post.....High grade NHL

Hello…my mum has recently been diagnosed with high grade NHL and due to start radiotherapy this week. There is never a good time to get diagnosed with cancer but being diagnosed whilst there is a coronavirus pandemic makes things so much more difficult. Not being able to give my mum a massive hug is heartbreaking.

Just really looking for others that are going through a similar situation to share this upsetting journey with. Take care and keep safe everyone xx

2 Likes

Smurf08, So sorry to hear this, this is a very difficult time and my heart goes out to you, this virus has caused a lot of heartbreak the worst being that we can’t give those who mean so much too us a hug, a hug works both ways giving comfort and giving thanks for the hug. Love to you, your mum and all your family, xxxx

3 Likes

Hi @Smurf08, a great big warm welcome to our supportive site. As you say it is not great timing and there is nothing like human contact and a great big hug really is priceless. Although there is no comparison can you give your mum a virtual hug in any way?
Being a family member or carer is so, so hard as I found you feel so helpless and out of control. Some of us have blood cancers and some are family members on this site, but we are all here to support each other through everything, although none of us expected a pandemic to be included in this. You say your mum was recently diagnosed so you must still be in shock so now is the time to please be kind to yourself and spoil yourself. If you need to you can contact the wonderful Blood cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-1pm Saturday and Sunday) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk and we are all here to support you. I felt your xx from here and I expect your mum will know you are sending her love and hugs.

1 Like

@Smurf08 I am so sorry to hear this, it must be so so difficult not being able to be there to comfort your mum. I’m really glad that you’ve joined this online community for support during what must be such an upsetting and stressful time for you.

How are you coping at the moment?

I just want to let you know that our support line is only a phone call or an email away if you want to chat things through with us at any point, or if there’s any information we can send you on high-grade NHL (we have a comprehensive booklet on this with lots of general information about the condition and the standard treatments used to treat/manage the condition). We can also help you find different sources of support for yourself and/or your mum. So if this might ever be helpful please do get in touch with us on 0808 2080 888 or support@bloodcancer.org.uk. We would be happy to help and support however we can.

Take care,
Alice

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Smurf08. I hope you feel supported by the people on here. Are there family still living with your mother that you are able to talk to?
It is important that your mother has access to practical help during this time. @Alice_BloodCancerUK and @Erica have mentioned the support line, and there is also information on the blood cancer uk website.
Sending best wishes to you and your family

2 Likes

Thank you all for your really kind comments. I have amazing family and friends around me but it is nice to talk to people outwith your family that are going through a similar experience.
To be honest I do not think my mums diagnosis has properly sunk in yet. Just praying that the radiotherapy works. They would have started with chemotherapy first but due to the coronavirus it is too unsafe which I understand but still so difficult. Love to you all x

3 Likes

Please keep posting how things are for you then we can all support each other.

1 Like

That’s really tough for both of you, especially during what’s going on at the moment. Are you able to keep in contact with your mum in other ways? This group is a great group for support and just to say what’s on your mind. I’m glad you decided to share with us. Have you got someone to help you through? How is your mum? X

3 Likes

Thank you, the support means a lot. I have lots of support around me from my husband, friends and family. My mum is doing ok considering but due to the cancer being high grade and at the base of her tongue she feels it has got worse and you can hear it in her voice when she speaks. She has had so many other health problems in the past, I thought she was going to get a break for a while but life had a different agenda. Thanks again for responding x

3 Likes

Really glad to hear you have such supportive friends and family @Smurf08. How are you doing today? It’s totally understandable though that it’s nice to talk with people outside of that circle, especially people who like you say, have a similar experience.

It’s understandable your mum’s diagnosis has not sunk in. I imagine it’s such a lot to process and get your head round, especially at such an odd and unknown time. We’re all here for you @Smurf08 and have everything crossed that radiotherapy works as well as it can for your mum.

2 Likes

Hi, @Smurf08, I think support from husband, family and friends really helps and can get you through so much. I wonder if you put your brave face on with your mum, I know that I am very good at putting the mask on.

1 Like

I’m ok today thanks. Neither my mum or dad drive so I am taking my mum to hospital for treatment every day so at least I get to see her and help keep her spirits up. As people say we just had to take one week at a time. Thanks again, hope your all doing ok x

4 Likes

Hello and welcome to our forum and the support you will gain. Diagnosis comes hard not just to the patient but also to those that love the patient. Never underestimate the power and good effect that your love and support will mean to your mum, spending time taking her for treatment is of such help when you are a patient facing procedures - yes this is an uneasy climate to be doing all this but the fact mum has you caring, assisting as possible and even at the end of the phone are the precious things that can be given and your mum is fortunate to have that in you and so know you are doing all thats possible to help and it will help. All the best and keep us posted

3 Likes

You may find the section on caring for someone is something that you can share in. As you are still at an early stage it may be later that you need someone to share how it feels to be a carer. Look after yourself too

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. Will have a look at the carers section x

1 Like

@Pisces56 very good suggestion! and @Smurf08 I hope you are okay, and it’s so very encouraging that you felt comfortable enough to reach out to our forum. Please always feel free to talk through anything that is on your mind on here and let us know how you are getting on :+1:

1 Like

Thank you. I will do x

3 Likes

There’s never a good time for a family to go through such an illness as many on here have found out but it must be especially tough in the current climate. I can at least cling onto the fact that I’m currently in remission even if I’m slightly scared about my prospects with the country being on lockdown. You’ve come to the right place though and you’ll find plenty of support here for everything that you’re going through. Welcome!

4 Likes

@Franko So well said Franko, there is never an easy time- particularly during the times we are in now. But we hope everyone can be reassured that whatever the next weeks, months and beyond bring- the forum is always here for you all.

2 Likes

Thank you. All responses mean a lot. Fab news you are in remission Franko. Take care x

1 Like