Welcome back!

3rd dose counted as 1st effective dose?

Currently trying to get an answer out of the Marsden about this but wondering if anyone else has had success…

My partner has Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and is on watch and wait. He had 2 doses of AZ back in Feb/April followed by 3 antibody tests all showing no antibodies.

He has now had a 3rd dose (Pfizer) and another antibody test which was positive! We are both pleased that this shows some response to the vaccine, however, as it seems the first 2 doses were ineffective, we would like his 3rd dose to be counted as the 1st effective dose meaning another Pfizer dose 8 weeks afterwards.

Has anybody managed to get their doctors to agree to this? If so, how?

1 Like

Hi @Roopy99 I like your logic, but I haven’t heard of anyone, unless they have had certain treatments like some stem cell transplants, having to start again with all their vaccinations.

1 Like

Hi Roopy99,
This is great news about your partners antibody response to the third. We are certainly aware of some previous data that proved similar, so it’s fab to hear an example of this.
We are awaiting confirmation from the JCVI on whether people who have had the third dose as part of their primary vaccination will be subsequently provided a booster dose and at what interval. For those who have recently had their third dose, and then also recently received an invitation for the booster, it has not been recommended that they have a subsequent (booster) dose at this time, as the JCVI has not yet issued confirmation or guidance about booster doses for people who have had the third dose.
We appreciate this can feel like ‘your in limbo’ and we do hope to receive more clarity soon.

Best Wishes, Lauran

3 Likes

I am also a long term Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) watch and wait person. 12 years and counting.
I decided to have my S Spike antibodies measured just before my 3rd primary jab and was disappointed to find that they were low (173 u/ml - on a scale which goes to 2500). Probably a combination of waning immunity 6 months on from second jab and the effect of Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). First doses both AZ.
But delighted to receive news that measurement of antiobodies post 3rd primary dose (Pfizer) is greater than 2500. Good news for the time being - pending any waning.
My understanding of the current JCVI advice is that while it is silent on a further booster it is likely that such a booster may be recommended 6 months on. My experience certainly seems to demonstrate the efficacy of repeated doses in immune compromised patients.

2 Likes

That is good news @Snellybob you must be so pleased.
Take lots of care of yourself and please keep posting.
Has anyone else had any test results?

1 Like

After my first Pfizer jab I had no antibodies. After 2nd antibodies very weak
. O.8. I had my third jab 4 weeks ago. Not sure whether to have another test or not. Besides costing £50 I am not sure I want to know

2 Likes

totally agree @ilivesunshine . After a disappointing response to the 2nd dose i do not want to know this time. If they want to do it for research i will ask for it not to be visible to me. I will still take care but relax a bit more now i have the 3rd. Not taking any risks but mentally i was in a very poor state after i learned the response from the first 2.

1 Like

Sounds good and sensible to me @Chrispy.
Please if you feel in a bad state reach out to us and if you would like to talk the Blood Cancer UK support line is also there for you.
Look after yourself and take care.

1 Like

I agree with you @ilivesunshine, if I got any sort of response I might not know how effective my antibodies were anyway.
Look after yourself and take care.

Hello @Chrispy, I’m sorry to hear that your antibody results were so disappointing. It is such a difficult time for the community and we recognise the importance of communicating the most up to date information to help. I am really pleased that you have received your 3rd dose. If you do need updating on vaccine efficacy and the trials that continue to review our patients after the 3rd dose please visit our web pages here https://bit.ly/3mTUtg5u If you do need any other support please contact the Support Services Team who are happy to help: Blood cancer support | Blood Cancer UK. Best wishes Gemma

1 Like

I also have had 3x jabs and my antibody count was returned negative no antibodies found .O+V treatment still ongoing so I was really hoping that once I get to be 6 months away from the end of Obinutumazab I might start the three jabs again …I will certainly ask at that stage

1 Like

Sounds a good idea to me @Annie78, look after yourself.

1 Like

He will be able to get booster that should help.

1 Like

Hi ilivesunshine, like you my first antibody test showed a result of 0.4%. Had my third vaccine on 9 October and just had my second antibody test last week - result 0.4% exactly the same as the first. I guess if you don’t pay to have another test you will not know if it’s safe for you to go out and mix with people. Hope your result is better than mine. Good luck. Xxx

2 Likes

I completely agree with the logic but I doubt that the health professionals will agree to it. Given the confusion over third doses anyway. I was told when I queried it that I wouldn’t be allowed another dose of anything until 6 months after my first dose. Presumably the announcement this week that this time frame can be reduced to 5 months means I can have one again in February.

1 Like

I’ve had antibody test which shows I’ve got some but didn’t give me how effective. Which is best company to use for more detailed results. I’ve got Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) 1 year in Jan on WW.

1 Like