5th Vaccine Dose (2nd Booster Dose)

This would certainly be helpful, my husband had his 1st booster back in October but is only 68, so doesn’t qualify if it’s over-75s. If they take GPs out of the loop, feels like it will be another fight on our hands to get anything, so we might as well be ready! Thankyou, again, BCUK for all your work on our behalf.

2 Likes

Thanks for this, CaroleCW. I’ve stored the link in my ‘notes’!

2 Likes

Our GP practice sent a communication out yesterday saying they are starting to do local care home spring booster jabs next week and then the general over 75s and immunosuppressed group will start first week of April but bookings for those will all be done via the NHS National Booking Service online or via 119 (rather than text invite to book via the local GP/PCN system). It stated 6 month gap needed since prior jab but I’m hoping when the booking system opens it has some computer algorithm that recognises just 3 month minimum needed for the immunosuppressed where it’s the 5th jab (we shall see!)

2 Likes

Yes, we shall see @CaroleCW please let us know how you get on, look after yourself

Judging by previous debacles, can’t hold out much hope! I do wish they’d let the GPs or hospital teams do this - our practice and my hospital team are both really good, and have ‘picked up the pieces’ when it went wrong on all the previous occasions!!

3 Likes

Just wanted to share our recent blog re this here - Why are people with blood cancer invited for a 5th vaccine dose (second booster)? | Blood Cancer UK and our health info page on Covid vaccines has also been updated - How to book a covid vaccine if you have blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK

2 Likes

Sounds like good news. I was afraid that it would get all muddled up like for the third and fourth doses but if it turns out like this, it would be perfect.

1 Like

I just booked my spring booster online in the NHS system (my 5th jab as I had my 4th jab at the end of December). Very quick and easy. It recognised the 3 month gap for me and gave me dates 3 months after my 4th jab. Amazing!

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up Carol. Just had a look and I can book mine online too :clap:

3 Likes

I have just looked on the NHS website for 5th jab. It says you can have one 3 months after 4th but to get maximum benefit it is better to wait 6 months. Advice please.

1 Like

Thanks, @CaroleCW - a brilliant bit of digging for info there.

3 Likes

Talk to your doctor. Their comms on the booking site is inaccurate (I’ve just tweeted this in a reply to Gemma Peters Blood Cancer CEO and Jonathan Leach NHS England). Yes 6 months is the recommended gap for those who are not immunocompromised. But the NHS Green Book itself (which is the advice to GPs etc) says those who are immunocompromised should time their spring booster for spring (ie Apr/May), hence the 3 month gap advice, and not to wait for 6 months (when jabs would be due June/July say) so that coverage is timed well for any summer wave but also so that we are still aligned for the autumn booster rollout programme

3 Likes

My doctor knows less than me so no point asking his advice

1 Like

Hello @ilivesunshine we’ve just updated our blog again - I hope this is helpful - Why are people with blood cancer invited for a 5th vaccine dose (second booster)? | Blood Cancer UK

As long as it’s been 3 months since your first booster, it’s best to have your second booster as soon as you are able to. This aims to boost your immunity now, while infections are increasing and ahead of a possible summer wave. Waiting longer to have your second booster puts you more at risk of catching covid between now and then.

If you need help explaining this to anyone who says you must wait a full 6 months from your first booster, the Green Book (the government’s main guidance for vaccinations for the UK) states (on page 28) “Immunosuppressed individuals… may have received the booster (fourth) dose more recently. These latter individuals and other eligible people who received their last vaccine more recently should also be offered the booster during the spring campaign providing there is at least three months from the previous dose. This will ensure they have additional protection against a potential summer wave.”

4 Likes

As usual, there’s mixed messages on NHS websites! Most recent info. on NHS site, is called the ‘Spring Booster Programme’. There’s a link to book at a local centre. This programme includes a 5th dose for over 75s and immunocompromised over 12 years old. It’s even been on BBC news today!! It seems that GPs mostly aren’t involved, but there were several sites to choose from locally when I went to book today. Had my 4th dose 6 January, offered 5th via the online system from 7th April. All seemed to work seamlessly!!!
NB: ALSO needs to be at least 28 days after a positive Covid test (so factor that in if you’ve been unlucky enough to catch it recently).
Follow the link, then choose ‘Booster doses and spring doses’ . . .

2 Likes

I just saw something on twitter saying you can book online once you are beyond 2 months but didn’t really believe it could be that simple. Loggged on and it offered me a slot for 4th April (3 months from last) so all booked. I wasn’t going to bother if it was 6 months as I would rather have one in the autumn to set me up for winter but a 6 month gap would make it impossible.

The press information yet again is not clear and I haven’t seen any press stating it is a 3 month gap for immunosuppressed.

5 Likes

Thanks very much. Very useful information. I will pass it on to my doctor. I am still waiting for him to ring me back about the antivirals from weeks ago!

2 Likes

This BBC News online article has correct link to NHS booking site in first paragraph and even states further down ‘six months or sooner if appropriate’. Must say I’m amazed, and pleased, this seems to be better than the last few attempts! Good luck everyone, stay safe and well!

4 Likes

5th vaccine booked for friday. Very easy process on NHS website

6 Likes

Ah, that 2 month bit of info is very useful to know @Chrispy - thanks. I tried booking online this morning, and it wouldn’t let me - but perhaps it will in 1.5 weeks when I reach the 2 month mark. Will try again then. Thanks.

3 Likes