5th Vaccine Dose (2nd Booster Dose)

I rang our local vaccination line yesterday to book Dads second booster / 5th jab . I didn’t mention he’s immunocompromised , I just said yes to wanting to book him the spring booster when I was asked (he’s 84) . His 4th jab was on the 6th Jan so I thought he’d be due the next one from the 31st March , anyway the lady said he was only due it from the 6th April ?? ,my maths isn’t great but I’m pretty sure I’d worked it out correctly :brain:, anyway the local leisure centre is stopping doing vaccinations after this month so she gave him an appointment for the 11th April as from this day the building our Drs is in is starting to do them . All in all this was easier to book than the last vaccine :+1:.

3 Likes

Yes it’s actually a 91 day gap which is 13 weeks from 4th jab (I miscalculated between 3rd and 4th jab as mistakenly thought it was 12 weeks so figured it out then). Yes it’s a lot easier booking it this time it seems.

4 Likes

Just had my second booster (fifth dose) today! Took a whole bundle of paperwork, just in case they asked and also asked if they’d let my husband have his as they were doing ‘walk-ins’ for eligible people. He’s only 68 and not immunocompromised, so technically does not qualify on the current rules. We went to see the doctor together, she checked my details then asked my husband a few questions. She let him have the vaccine as well on the basis that his first booster was over six months ago, and it would not only protect him, but me as well! The centre is a small local hospital that runs a vaccine centre for a group of GP practices around our rural area . . .

4 Likes

Hi @beverleyanny what a result, great for both of you.
Look after yourselves

1 Like

Thank you so much for the info . I thought I would update have to wait 6 months for 5th vaccine but just logged into NHS site and got booked for later this month .

3 Likes

My husband is due his spring booster at beginning of May; the system will let him book but only a couple of places on offer, neither of which are ideal. We do have a walk in centre in the town and they’re doing the boosters so he may well go there (armed with lots of paperwork) if he can’t find a better location.

So I was quite impressed when a copy letter arrived this morning, sent by Haematology to our GP, saying he should be given the booster etc etc. I stopped being so impressed when I got to the third paragraph where it referred to it as being a ‘booster dose (4th vaccine)’. They’re a little behind the times - he had that 1st February!!!

4 Likes

Yes, it’s so true that everything seems to depend on us doing the homework, and really grateful to Blood Cancer UK and other charities for their work in supporting us! When I went yesterday for my fifth dose, the doctor at the vaccine centre said it was great to see all my paperwork, and thanked me for letting her see information she wasn’t aware of!!

4 Likes

I had my 5th jab a fortnight ago I rang 119 to find out how LONG I needed to wait for my 5th jab, they looked me up and told me I could have it now… So I did :blush:

5 Likes

That was a result @Annie78, take care of yourself

Hi Everyone, I just booked my 5th vaccine dose for 19th April (just after 3 months since my 4th dose) using the link kindly given by @beverleyanny on 21 March.
I just have to remember to bring a letter from my haematologist describing my condition. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi @purdy1966 so glad that you have posted on our forum and also that you have managed to book your 5th vaccine.
You have shown the value of our forum by following @beverleyanny’s link.
I really look forward to hearing more about you.
Look after yourself.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I booked my 5th vaccine on the NHS booking service a couple of weeks ago for the 9th of April which was 91 days after my fourth jab. My third and fourth vaccinations were both recorded as boosters instead of a third primary and then a booster. I was a bit worried in case it all went wrong when I got to the vaccination centre. I took a letter from my GP and after explaining my situation and showing them my letter I have had my 5th jab with no problems. They definitely wanted proof of my situation so please make sure that you take something from your GP or consultant with you and all should go to plan. Hope this clarifies what could be a confusing situation.

5 Likes

Hi @purdy1966 . I booked my 5th through the government website and had it last week. I know they say you need proof of your condition but the pharmacy said they didn’t need anything as they already had my details. This may have been as i went to the same place as i did for my 4th and they logged my details then. I was surprised and i did have proof with me of my leukeamia and that i was due the 5th. Seems very variable as to what they want.
Always best to follow the advice and take the proof in case but it was a very straight forward process.

Good luck.

5 Likes

Hi @Chrispy and @Margarett

Agree. I had my 1st and 2nd at a large vaccine centre with appointment provided from NHS by letter. 3rd was at a small drop-in vaccine centre (GP sent me to, after I chased), ID required but OK anyhow as the nurse giving vaccine knew me; 4th was at the GP surgery, so no need to provide details there. 5th is at a vaccine centre. I vaguely remember getting a letter from NHS to say that they have binned the central register of CEVs, so that may be why they want to letter proving the condition. I have about 20 to choose from so no worries there.:rofl::rofl: So glad to be getting this 5th dose, as every little boost the immune system gets will do no harm and hopefully some good.

4 Likes

Thanks @Erica. I’ve just realised that I forgot to introduce myself and just blundered straight in. Not sure what to say other than I am a very active woman (like to run) in my mid-fifties living with F-NHL since 2016. I had 8 cycles of R-CVP and 12 doses of maintenance Rituximab. Also had a tiny stroke around my 4th cycle. Noone knows why the stroke decided to join the party, but I’m taking a low dose aspirin-type drug for that.

Otherwise, I’m just getting on with it as I have no control over when it will relapse again. I realise that I am unusual and lucky because I have managed to put the cancer to the back of my mind, so it’s more watch and wait than watch and worry. I have accepted it as a new (unwelcome) permanent guest. I know some people can’t do that and find it very difficult, which is completely normal, natural and understandable. I tend to spend my time sweating the small stuff that I have control over instead, as that is enough to be getting on with. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Great attitude, @purdy1966! And nice to have you on here.

1 Like

@purdy1966 you do not have to introduce yourself on here, there are no right or wrong ways, it is just good to have you on here.
I am impressed that you like to run, walking is enough for me !!! Now the weather is improving it is lovely exercising out there and a good occupation if you are nosey.
Yes we have an (unwelcome) permanent guest, trespasser or free loader.
Since diagnosis I certainly do not deal with what personally stresses me well, it suddenly gets all too much and the tears appear from nowhere.
Please keep posting.

4 Likes

Thanks @Fullofbeans! Lovely to hear from you too. :smiley:

2 Likes

@Erica, walking is great. I like to get out once a day for a brisk 30 mins. I live in a hilly area so it’s great aerobic exercise.
I think crying is a much more gentle way of handling a stressful situation. You tend to get more sympathy and it’s probably better for your blood pressure too. With the small stuff, I love a good fume followed by a very ranty vent. I was never a good crier, unfortunately. Whatever works and releases the valve, I suppose. I was more chilled in my youth. I’m putting it down to the big M as opposed to the big C. I pity my poor husband. He has to sit it out like you would a storm.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information about your husband receiving a booster even though he wasn’t eligible. I went to a GP a hub for my 5th jab this morning and asked if my husband could have his. I had all my paperwork with me, which they barely glanced at, a GP cleared it for my husband to receive a dose too. I am extremely relieved as for him to be protected builds another bit of the wall to protect me. It’s a nonsense that this hasn’t been cleared anyway especially as they’re dragging their heels on Evusheld.

5 Likes