5th Vaccine Dose (2nd Booster Dose)

hi went for my 2nd booster 5th overall today which was booked and had to stand in a busy walkin que who were all bunched up and many not wearing masks.
when i got to have my jab she told me i was not entitled to my jab until six months after my forth and also because the letter from my consultant saying that i have hypoplastic myelodysplasia and was severely immunosuppressed was over a year old she couldn’t accept it.
i was not happy after some strong words and some helpful links on here too the green book.
i was able to have my jab, sometimes it feels as if its 1 step forward and then 5 back.

6 Likes

I have my fifth Covid jab booked for 7 May. I too expect problems as I have had to fight to get every Covid vaccine apart from the very first one. My GP practice had no idea we were entitled to three primary doses until I told them. GP say I have to contact hospital and hospital say I have to contact GP. Fingers crossed for next week.

1 Like

Hi @Maureen54. I had my fifth vaccination just before Easter at a local pharmacy. I suggest you take a copy of a hospital letter if you have one that confirms your diagnosis plus any boxes of medication that you are on, as the vaccinator wanted to see this information before giving me the vaccination. I wish you well next week. Warm wishes. Willow X

2 Likes

I booked myself into my 5th jab after getting an NHS text. The appointment text and email I got said to bring a letter confirming my condition or a copy of the invite to have the 5th jab. In the event nobody asked me for anything and I walked straight in 15 minutes early and was out straight away. Even the pre-jab questionnaire was done online unlike my previous jabs at my GP’s. I was actually impressed which those of you who know will know I rarely say about my local hospital.

3 Likes

…booked an early slot online for my 5th. Went today, nobody else there, they asked for a clinic letter to confirm entitlement and was jabbed. Absolutely no hassle or fight this time. I can’t believe how easy it was….

3 Likes

Had my 5th dose today …this time it was moderna all my others were phfizer…had to take letter from consultant to prove why i should have 5th but all went well

3 Likes

Good to see things working more smoothly this time. Good luck with those jabs everyone!

2 Likes

My husband just got back from getting his; I sent him armed with relevant paperwork, with sections highlighted in yellow to make it easy. Receptionist at the centre was a bit frosty but after she checked with lead vaccinator she apparently mellowed and agreed he was eligible!

3 Likes

It’s ridiculous how different areas are treating people. I booked my 5th jab after reading about it on here and went with paperwork describing my diagnosis of lymphoma. The pharmacist didn’t even query anything but said he hadn’t heard of anyone else getting their 5th jab. No issues though and it was 13 weeks since my last booster.

4 Likes

I rang 119 3 months after 4th jab to ask what the gap should be and they looked up my record and booked me in for the following day… My gp is pretty much in the dark too sadly I was fast tracked to the front of the line and given my jab within minutes of arriving but I did have to wait afterwards for 1/4 hour when others were leaving directly

4 Likes

Hi folks since it’s been over 2 months since I last made any comment of the 5th Vaccine Dose (2nd Booster Dose).

Whilst I was away for a break 2 weeks ago I was able to book an appointment for the 5th dose except this time it wouldn’t be local but an hour’s drive on busy roads. Once I made the booking the info supplied said I needed to either bring a GP’s letter or proof that I qualified for the 5th dose which didn’t fill me with confidence on how the process would unfold.

So yesterday I made sure I left home early as the roads would be busy and coupled with the weather of torrential downpours didn’t make for a relaxing journey. Arrival was straightforward once I found the signage and the centre issuing the vaccines was a new building to replace what had previously been a tent. And so after trying to unwind from the drive waited for a break in the weather and went in to be greeted by someone who just booked you in (albeit early). I must look younger than I am as I was asked if I was there for my 3rd vaccine dose and when I said I was there for the 5th dose he was taken aback and asked why I thought I qualified - to which I replied that I’ve had cancer (DLBCL).
After waiting in the queue a few minutes I was seen by a nurse who then asked what seemed like 50 questions - name; DOB; address; when I had my last jab; why I thought I qualified; what type of cancer; what is my current regime of medication; have I had side effects from previous jabs; etc. Didn’t asked about my NHS number. Trying to explain that I developed Shingles after my 1st booster shrugged that off as it was 6 months ago even though the symptoms and pain persist 6 months on.
So before giving the jab I was asked if I’m happy to go ahead but when you don’t have much choice there is only one answer. All in all not a relaxing process.

Considering that I get sent so much info about what to do if I test positive and the treatments that would likely be prescribed quickly based on being described as “immunosuppressed” it was disheartening to be questioned so intensely about why I thought I was entitled to have the 5th dose - a case of the right hand not talking to the left hand. If the NHS takes the view that you are immunosuppressed then why the hassle. Hopefully for the Autumn Booster we will just have to go to the local surgery as it will be combined with rolling out the flu jab - we wait and see.

3 Likes

Thanks @Venus for letting us know what you went through to get your 5th vaccine, everything is a battle isn’t it, but you persevered and got it done.
Look after yourself and please keep posting.

This letter might be helpful for anyone struggling to access their second booster (fifth vaccine dose), to show their GPs/healthcare teams - Fifth_dose_letter_for_blood_cancer_patients_May_2022.pdf (bloodcancer.org.uk).

1 Like

I had my fifth dose recently and it was Moderna( all others were Phizer BioNTech).
After four jabs and catching Covid and having the neutralising monoclonal antibody Sotrovimab I was a bit casual about getting it and was convinced that my body would accept it readily with no problems. I was however pretty rotten for a couple of days and on the second day had a commitment i could not miss but so wished to be at home sulking! All well on day four. Do make diary allowances. I expect you are a bit smarter than me though!
The funny moment was whilst checking in. The first desk was to see the appointment, the second was to determine if you were eligible.
Question “ How many jabs have you had?” My answer “Four”.
Then a huge, loud exclamation of “Four?”. Everyone looked at me and the other lady on the desk said “Shhh! She is one of them vulnerables! Get the doctor!”
It was truly hard not to laugh out loud and I just wished I had a friend there to laugh with.

7 Likes

Oh @GrandmaJo what a good handy hint to make diary allowances, it’s worth remembering.
I would have been chuckling away with you with your booking in overheard experience, so much for privacy.
Look after yourself

1 Like

That gave me a good chuckle, @GrandmaJo! But sorry you felt unwell afterwards. I felt incredibly rough for 2 days after my 5th too.

1 Like

I agree that finding accurate information for those with a form of blood cancer seems hit and miss - even my GP said the advice was ‘chaotic’ after I was at first refused a 4th dose in january. Eventually after writing. I had my 4th Feb 11th 2022 (Moderna) and seemed to have quite a reaction including rash that persisted on neck and upper chest. Faced with vaccines over years I wondered whether my antibodies were better than anticipated and too an antibody test that does not differentiate between vaccine or disease induced 3 weeks after that 4th jab. result given as over 2500 u/ml I’ve been on watch and wait for 12 years and am 72. I received an invite for a 5th jab so decided to do another antibody test before I took them up on it. Just had results and 4 months after my previous jab my results are ‘over 2500 U/ml’. My inclination is to wait until Autumn for another vaccine but I cannot afford yet another antibody test then. Happy to pass all my info (blood tests over 12 years plus antibody tests etc) if it will add to our knowledge base and of course happy for any observations re decision about 5th vaccine now or later or be part of any research that sheds light on things. I know many more ill and in need than me but I assume my stats might help. I have no medical training but as a maths graduate find comfort in numbers and graphs. Sorry about long post. Tricia

1 Like

It all seems a bit unpredictable. No two of us react the same. I had 2 Astra Zeneca doses and had no effects whatsover but I’ve had 3 Pfizer doses, all of which made me quite ill (one for over a week). Mostly just bad flu like symptoms and no lasting damage but unpleasant nonetheless. Hope everyone comes through it ok.

1 Like

@BloodCancerUK-SupportTeam

I have been reading about autumn booster roll out.

I had first jab 23 jan 2021 and was called to attend

Second jab 9 April 2021 again called

Third jab 18 September I booked it

Fourth jab 21 st December at GP as could not book it.

Fifth jab at local chemist 5th April pre booked or thought I had until I got there initially refused. After an hour of phone calls etc agreed to give it.

Am I due another as it’s over three months?

Can BCUK enlighten me.

My 5 jabs pretty much mirror the timing of yours give or take a week. I don’t think we are due our next one until the Autumn jabs (just announced by NHS England yesterday) so I’m expecting it to be around Sept/Oct and assume it will be more of an Omicron specific one (along with flu jab). Agree it will feel a very long time since the 5th one. Be good for BC U.K. to confirm.

1 Like