Awaiting blood test results due to petachie, fatigue and bone pain

Hi everyone,

I’m 50 years old (hate typing that lol - 49 seemed so much younger!). I’ve been having night sweats - put down to menopause because of my age - had a hysterectomy due to endo and pre cancerous cervix cells about ten years ago. In the past few weeks, I’ve been exhausted. My kids were on Covid Lockdown recently due to their own symptoms - tests came back unclear and then when they were due to go back, there was a positive diagnosis at school. Only mention this as they commented on how much I was sleeping. I assumed I was just run down. I am really thirsty all the time despite drinking gallons of water which of course leads to regular loo trips - like twice or more an hour. I’ve been having severe back ache, headaches and horrible pains in my legs but I put down to an old back problem. I suffer from headaches anyway so not concerned about that. But the pains in my legs and occassionally my arms and hips are bad enough to keep me awake at times. Even now typing this there’s a dull painful ache in my legs. Its not stabbing but very uncomfortable. I took solphadine earler this evening which dulls it a bit but never takes it away fully. I’m allergic to aspirin so cant take that if it was inflammation or something.

Last Wednesday - the kids first day back at school, I gave in and contacted the doctor via their webpage. I outlined all of the above and sent in a picture of the petachie rash I have on my stomach. It is also on my chest but didnt want to be sending those pictures lol.

Initially the doctor was quite dismissive - I have depression and as usual its the cause of everything. I did say I was exhausted but could still manage to get my kids to school which is something I couldnt do when I had full blown flu two years ago.

She suggested the rash could be a viral reaction to having “snotty nosed kids” which is true. She asked for a picture so I explained I had already sent that in. She put me on hold and then came back and told me she didnt need to examine me but was sending me for urgent blood tests. The waiting time at the surgery was a week so she wanted me to go down to the hospital and get them done as soon as I could.

I went the next day after collecting the form she’d done. Of course I had to read what she wanted to test. It does say - seems well on the form. She’s testing me for everything from diabetes to kidney function and thyroid. The usual tests you get for a blood test. But what worries me is she asked for a bone profile, a blood film test in addition. Does this mean she suspects something she hasnt told me or is she just being thorough? I went to the hospital but when I said GP said the tests were urgent, I was told she didnt put that on the form so the results would take at least a week due to Covid etc.

My mum died of breast cancer, my father is in remission for prostate cancer and my gran (his mum) had a blood cancer treated with Thalomide but she was 93 when she died so I cant say that killed her. So cancer is on my mind although the more practical side of me is saying there could be a number of reasons for the symptoms.

I know you guys can’t make the time go faster - seems to be very slow at the moment. I am hoping i can ring on Monday and get some results. Would the doctor have mentioned BC if she was worried? What happens next if the results from the bone profile or blood film come back abnormal? Can you tell from a full blood count if it is BC and what type it is?

Thank you so much

Rae

1 Like

Hi @Rae, welcome to this forum. I am glad you have found us in what must be an extremely worrying time for you. I can’t answer your different questions as I am not medically trained. It sounds as if your GP is being very thorough. From my own experience I know a lot can show up on a blood test and if there are abnormalities the GP should be able to refer you to someone else if necessary. I feel for you so much. Don’t forget you can contact the Blood Cancer UK support team if you would like to talk to someone. Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on. All this is so much harder to cope with when you are in pain and the coronavirus makes it extra complicated. Warm wishes. Willow

2 Likes

Hello @Rae. Welcome to the forum. You have certainly come to the right place to offload your worries. It must be a really anxious time for you waiting for your test results, something a lot of people on here can identify with. It sounds like your GP is being very thorough at least and that you are in good hands. Do let us know how it goes and feel free to share any worries. And of course there is always the excellent Blood Cancer UK support line if you want to discuss something in confidence.

2 Likes

Hi @Rae, I bet you are anxious, that is natural when you do not know what is wrong with you and you are feeling so rough.
As others have said it just seems that your doctor is covering all bases with the tests that have been ordered.
It’s the not being in control and not knowing what is wrong that is the worst and because you will be worrying so much that perhaps won’t help with your exhaustion.
Take lots of care of yourself, be kind to yourself and let us know how you get on and as others have said you can contact the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm Monday-Friday and 10am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk to talk to someone.

1 Like

Thank you so much @Willow for your support. I couldnt log in earlier but saw your response now. I 've not told anyone as there are other family issues going on so its lovely to have someone place to go and talk to people. Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you @Franko. I will ring the surgery in the morning, cant wait any longer and will definitely come back and let you guys know. I will ring the support line if I can’t get anywhere with the surgery. Hopefully I will have good news. Thank you, all of you.

1 Like

Thanks @Erica I think you have hit the nail on the head. I am a bit of a control freak - when Mam had cancer I had to know and understand what was going on. I hate the not knowing. Hopefully I will have some answers tomorrow, if I can chase the bloods. Thanks for helping me.

1 Like

Hi @Rae and welcome to the forum. You have so much going on and I hope you feel better now you have shared. As suggested, the support line is so helpful so is something to consider. Please keep us updated on how you are doing x

2 Likes

Hi @Rae a warm welcome to the forum. So sorry you’re going through what sounds like a worrying time for you. It’s good to hear that you spoke to your GP about what you’re experiencing and that these symptoms are getting investigated. If you have concerns around blood cancer, I would really encourage you to mention this to your GP. You might find this page of our website helpful as it talks through signs and symptoms of blood cancer and includes some questions that some people find useful to ask their doctor - https://bloodcancer.org.uk/understanding-blood-cancer/blood-cancer-signs-symptoms/

Additionally, this page of our website talks through some of the tests used to confirm or rule out blood cancer - https://bloodcancer.org.uk/understanding-blood-cancer/tests-diagnosis/blood-cancer-tests/

Please do give our support line a call on 0808 2080 888 if you want to talk anything through or if there’s anything we can do to support you! I hope you get some answers from your GP today, don’t be afraid to be persistent if you have questions and concerns.
Take care, Alice

2 Likes

@Alice_BloodCancerUK @Erica @Willow @Franko @Nichola75 Thank you all so much - I have emailed the Dr surgery today and had an email back to say "results arent back, try in a few days. "
I have to learn some patience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Patience - what’s that??? :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Hang in there. I’m like you in that respect but I learned patience after lying flat on my back for almost 3 months and having people rearrange my life around me like I wasn’t there. You’ll find after a while that you’re a lot stronger than you thought you were :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I ever get hold of that person who said ‘patience is a virtue’ !!!

1 Like

Oh, @Franko, I cannot imagine what you went through lying flat on your back for 3 mths and having people rearrange your life around you as if you were not there.

1 Like

@Franko @Erica I cant imagine that either. You must have lots of patience now. People tried that with my mam when she was ill - she used to say my ears still work, the cancer didnt take my hearing lol

2 Likes

Oh @Rae, your mam sounds lovely and a very special person. Please keep posting how you are, perhaps we all need to support each other during Covid times.

2 Likes

@Erica she was awesome. She found a lump, had her breast removed a week later and was given about two years. She lasted 13 as she said she loved God but hadnt any interest in seeing him so early. She died aged 66. They used to wheel her into the other patients to bring some positivity. The cleaners in the hospital were in tears when she died as they said she always treated them as if they were special and knew all their first names. Of course they were special. Mam didn’t care what your job was - everyone was equal.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who supported me. The drs receptionist sent me a message

"Your test results have been looked at by a doctor and found to be normal. In future you can check your test results on …

The Grove Medical Centre"

Thats the message - no idea what the … means. I burst into tears but they arent of relief but frustration. Obviously Im thrilled its not serious and I feel bad even typing that on this forum but regardless of the test results, I have no idea why I am in such pain or so tired. The lady in boots who asked why I needed solphadeine (allergic to aspirin and normal panadol doesnt work) was more empathetic than the surgery.

Anyway, thanks so much for all of your help and support. You guys are awesome and I wish you all the best in your individual journeys. Mam showed me what it is like to fight cancer and anyone doing that is a pure warrior. xx

1 Like

@Rae it’s good to hear your blood test results were found to be normal, though I am so sorry to hear that you still don’t have answers to why you’re in such pain or so tired. I can only imagine how frustrating it must feel for you. Don’t be afraid to be persistent with your doctor if you have concerns - you’re well within your rights to be informed around your health and situation! There’s the option of a second opinion too if you felt it was something you wanted to look in to.
Please do feel free to give us a call if you want to talk this through and honestly no need to feel bad sharing on here - we’re here for you. Take good care.

thank you so much Alice - Im sorry I lost it earlier on here. I spoke to the surgery got past the receptionist and spoke to another doctor who isnt happy with the results. He is doing more indepth ones so feel better now. Thank you again and to the rest of the people on this amazing board. xx

1 Like