Covid 19 Cancer survey antibody test

I have gone through the process of ordering one of these kits. It’s not completely straightforward but the kit has now arrived.
I had my 4th jab a week ago. What is the optimum time after a jab to perform the test. I’m guessing I should wait another week to 10 days.
I am Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) watch and wait.

1 Like

Hi Rod a good question, do you get any guidance from the study researchers or can you contact them?
Glad you have had your 4th jab and are going to be part of the cancer survey.

1 Like

There is no guidance in the package and I have not found anything on the government website. It’s quite a basic question to which I can make my own estimation based on what I have looked up.
The information should be there to avoid doubt and wasted tests.
It seems anyone with cancer can enrol for a test. Very useful information to know when working out how defensive you need to be in contact with others, particularly in group situations.

2 Likes

Hi @Rod Thanks for your question.
Great question and unfortunately not one i can clarify for you. You may have already taken this step, however the website does have a contact tab for any questions to be answered- Contact – National COVID Cancer Survey.
I do hope this helps somewhat.
Good Luck with it all and hope you’re keeping well, Lauran

1 Like

I applied for my antibody test from the cancer survey, the day after I had my 4th jab, so put that info on the screen, there was nothing anywhere to say wait.
I had my 4th jab last Wednesday, and did my antibody test today.

I followed all the rules about drinking water the day before, and earlier today,
I did the star jumps, clenched my fist a few times, and put my hand in warm water.

From the instructions and video, I thought the “blood letting” would be difficult and slow,
however, as soon as I pressed the button, the blood came out immediately, and quite quickly, it took about 3 seconds to fill up to the 600ml.

so I pressed the cleaning thing on my finger, and put the plaster on, and held it for a bit, it did stop immediately.

However, just a warning really, all the instructions make you think it might be slow and difficult, which it probably is for many people, but it just took me a bit by surprise.

It also said to turn the blood about 10 times slowly, and it would probably clot, mine didn’t clot, not sure if that’s a good thing, or a bad thing
… I have ET, and have been told my platelets are probably useless, because they are produced so quickly, they don’t form properly, so don’t have the “hook” which they use for clotting.

I will post here, when I get the results.

4 Likes

I’ve decided to do the test sometime next week. That will be a couple of weeks or so after vaccination.
Thanks for the tips on how to carry out the process.

3 Likes

Oh thanks @heatherthomas for explaining the process for you so clearly.
I always need a clear guide.
Yes, please do let us know the results.

2 Likes

I have offered to take part in the survey and a kit is on its way to me.
Application was quite straight forward, took less than 10 minutes from using the link above. I did have to wait for an acceptance code to come through via email before the application could be fully processed.

2 Likes

I have ET, and am on 75mg asprin, and 1000mg of hydroxycarbamide a day

I had my antibody test results just now, it says

Antibodies were found in your blood sample.

I took the test a week after my 4th Vaccine, I posted it off Wednesday, in a non-priority post box - just the post box in the village, and had the results back by e-mail today (Saturday)
It doesn’t say how many antibodies, just that I have them.

Things are on the up!

4 Likes

Well @heatherthomas that is great news that you have some antibodies and cause for a celebration I feel.

1 Like

I put the bubbly in the fridge earlier, and it will be opened shortly

(The Argyle just won 3-1 too!!!)

1 Like

Go my result late last night. I have antibodies.
I will remain cautious, mask wearing and keeping contacts down. I won’t be going to parties.
The concentration of antibodies is not stated but it’s a positive. Also, I have been sent a PPE test kit, just in case, and I think my GP is aware that, should I get the disease, I am eligible for antiviral drugs.
All things to contribute towards peace of mind for my family as well as myself.

4 Likes

Hi all
I did a test after my 3rd vaccine and much like Heather thought that getting blood out of my finger would be a drawn out process since every time I go for a check-up they struggle to find a vein that will give! So like Heather I followed the instructions; pricked my finger and it gushed out - filled the vial in seconds and struggled to stem the flow but we got there.
My only frustration the result just tells you you have antibodies - not at what level or quality/quantity. My next step is to see if there is any other antibody tests which will give me a more detailed result - even if I have to pay for one.

At least as other say it’s a start. Onwards and upwards.

3 Likes

Hi all. This is the first time I post to this group.
My name is Paola. I was diagnosed with NHFL stage 3 in March 2021. I completed 6 cycles of immuno-chemotherapy in Sept 2021 and am currently on maintenance therapy (obinutuzumab infusion every eight weeks for two years).
I took the free finger prick test as part of the Covid-19 National Cancer Survey in Nov 2021 - 4 weeks after my second jab. The turnover was negative (no IgG detected).
I had my third dose in December 2021 and, at the beginning of January 2022, I paid for a quantitative antibody test which requires a proper blood sample taken by a nurse or phlebotomist. Again, the result came back negative with a number of neutralizing antibodies definitely insufficient to prevent severe disease.
So, I decided to get a pricey T-spot COVID test and to my surprise, I had a REACTIVE result indicating that my sample contained effector T cells sensitized to SARS-Cov-2.
Obviously, this doesn’t mean I’m immune to the disease and to the worst consequences of infection. Additionally, it is very difficult to measure T cells responses accurately and this expensive test doesn’t say anything about the quality of SARS-COV-2 sensitized effector T cells (cytotoxic, helper, memory and modulating). But little protection is better than no protection at all and I’m increasingly hearing from trusted sources (scientists not quacks!) that, whereas the quantity of neutralising antibodies (humoral immunity) declines over the space of 3 to 4 months, cellular immunity (T lymphocytes) tends to be more stable and reliable across time.
I hope this helps.
Best
Paola

6 Likes

A great big welcome @Pabla and you certainly have a lot of technical knowledge and it was very interesting to hear about your varied Covid tests for antibodies, T cell responses etc.
I think everyone is in unknown territory and the scientists and manufacturers are working as quickly as they can.
Look after yourself and I look forward to hearing more from you

1 Like

That’s good news @Rod on both fronts and as you say it contributes to peace of mind for you and your family, I am all for that.
A double celebration is in order I think. Look after yourselves

Would you mind sharing how you got the quantitative ab test and T cell spot test please.

Thanks

2 Likes

MonitorMyHealth gives the number of antibodies . I hope i have remembered the name correctly. They use an NHS lab.

1 Like

You’ve probably done the test by now!
I waited a coup,E of weeks after my third jab and the end of last year. Surprisingly the results came back saying they had detected antibodies from having Covid and the vaccine.
Never been aware of having Covid at all!
I did a second one from Monitor My Health and the result was the same!

1 Like

Very interesting @AnnD, take care of yourself