Covid 19 Cancer survey antibody test

Hi Roopy99,
don’t mind at all to share.
I had my ab test at a private clinic abroad (55 euros). The quantitative test they used is called Abbbott CMIA.
As for the T-spot test, I had it at the Harley street Health Centre, London (£ 129). At this clinic they also offer a package (T-Spot + Roche quantitative ab test) but can’t remember how much they charge.
I hope this helps.

4 Likes

Hi @Pabla
A very warm welcome to our forum and i do hope you find it useful and a really lovely space for sharing with peers.
As @Erica has touched upon, we thank you for sharing your experience with us, it is all really interesting. I do hope this has to some degree given you a better understanding of your own situation and in turn will help make decision making & managing is a little clearer, as we appreciate how impossible this has been for so many for so long.
In case it is useful our page below may hold some practical tips on the management on going risk assessment- Omicron and coping with risk and uncertainty | Blood Cancer UK.

Best Wishes, Lauran

3 Likes

I’ve signed my Dad up and we’re going to do the test on Sunday. He’s always so cold and sometimes nurses struggle to take blood so he’ll definitely need to warm himself up before we try , we’re going to miss out doing the star jumps as it’s a bit too energetic for a 84 year old :joy:. He’s under strict instructions to drink plenty of water tomorrow in preparation :+1:

3 Likes

Hi please let us know how your Dad gets on tomorrow.
How are you both doing?
Look after yourselves

1 Like

It was an experience to say the least :woman_facepalming: With Dads age he shakes and his eyesight isn’t the best so getting the blood into the tube wasn’t easy , we ended up just about getting to the 400 mil line which is the minimum amount but we had to prick three fingers so the blood didn’t quite flow as easy as others had mentioned . I know this is probably all to do with age . Anyway it’s been posted off so we’ll await the results :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Hi @Anne-Marie I think your dad did brilliantly, I find I getting blood from my finger is really a battle talk about ‘blood from stone’. For me it is hugging my mug of boiling water and then soaking my finger in hot water for ages, then I start off well then it tails off to ever decreasing droplets rather quickly.
Be kind to yourselves and await

2 Likes

I think it was your post, Rod, that put me onto this survey. I applied on the off chance as I am in remission and not quite sure if I fit all the criteria, but they sent me the registration code and I have successfully registered . Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

You should be fine. Although they tell you if you have antibodies or not, they don’t give any indication of the concentration of antibodies. But a positive result is somewhat heartening.
All the best :+1:

3 Likes

Yay, got my antibody test results back as part of the antibody study today and I have some. It won’t change my current regime of shielding but it is a bit of good news.

4 Likes

Great news so you are now @Billy1mate + antibodies, a real badge of honour and more than quite a few of us !!!

I used testig for all which cost £50 follwing my first 2 vaccines. The first showed no antibodies. The second gave a result with very low antibodies. It did give the percentage. I think it was 0.8.
I have had 2 more tests after joining the research programme which both have shown i have antibodies but not how many. It would be good to know but reassuring that i have some and assuming i have more having had 4 jabs.

3 Likes

Well my Dad got his results early this morning and he does have antibodies.

6 Likes

Glad to hear it @Anne-Marie good news, how are you both doing?

Hi Erica , we’re both ok thanks . Dad rarely goes anywhere and hasn’t during the pandemic , I was hoping finding out he’d got antibodies would help us bite the bullet and maybe go out for food together but it’s still worrying for us, more for me than him to be honest as he’s more a what happens happens sort of guy :woman_shrugging:. It’s coming up to 3 years since Dad had his 3rd and last cycle of CTD for Myeloma. His consultant told him a few weeks ago that he’d probably need some treatment this year .

1 Like

Hi @Anne-Marie it often happens that the carer is more worried than the cared for.
That’s being a carer for you !!!
Perhaps just do what you are both comfortable with and please keep posting.
Be kind to and spoil yourselves

1 Like

I went out for a meal recently, it was 6pm on a Wednesday, the restaurant was really quiet and I asked to be seated away from everyone else. That might be an option for you.

4 Likes

Went to the local garden centre cafe the other day where they have outside seating.
It was OK, there are not many people about if you can get out midweek.
More staggered by the prices than anything else.

3 Likes

Hi @Billy1mate and @Rod you two are gadding about aren’t you. But it sounds as if you both made sure that they were both done as safely as possible.
Thanks for the handy hints on how to step out into society and yes, I expect I will be staggered by the prices too.

2 Likes

Hi everyone ,I have polycythaemia vera and being treated with venesections ,I was diagnosed in October 2019, is it ok for me to register for the antibody test ?
ps this is my first this to this site but have followed for some time.

3 Likes

A great big welcome to posting @Bk.mpn.
I do not know the answer to your questions, perhaps others do.
If not the Blood Cancer UK support line might be able to assist.
I look forward to hearing more about you.