Covid 19 Cancer survey antibody test

Just got my result back: no antibodies (despite 4 jabs). Rethinking my next concert :thinking: ( shame, it’s going to be good: Harmless Drudgery: Old Friends)

3 Likes

Rod, I’ll take the increased cost just to get out and about a bit. Can’t beat a cream tea or nice bit of cake.

2 Likes

Dear @Bk.mpn, welcome to the Forum and thank you for posting. You can register for the COVID Cancer Survey: https://covidcancersurvey.uk/ and the other Forum members above have private tests that they have used too in this thread. If you do need any more information and support do contact us How to contact Blood Cancer UK | Blood Cancer UK Take care Gemma

1 Like

No consolation Bob, I have sold and had refunds for 5 gigs/concerts since restrictions were lifted. I have friends that have gone to gigs and they’ve not caught Covid which I am quite surprised about, bravo to the venues and the attendees. I have antibodies but the high probability of ITU has stopped me from attending any gigs. Hopefully you will be able to attend events again.

4 Likes

Oh dear, that is disappointing.

I am a guinea pig in the Birmingham University research into the efficacy of Covid vaccine in Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) patients. You don’t get to know your individual results but, by participating, you help in finding out if vaccines do work. I was talking on the phone to a member of staff there and he said the 3rd and 4th vaccines generally appear to have made a difference to many people. Seems we must persist in getting vaccinated as it may work eventually. It is of some comfort to know that the antiviral drugs are there for if we do get ill.
It is also disappointing that testing and isolating is being downgraded and discontinued.

I do hope that those around you know of your condition and are prepared to respect your plight by taking precautions when in your company. It must be a little tricky with singing.
All the best.

4 Likes

Oh @Billy1mate a cream tea or a piece of cke sounds absolutely wonderful to me too.

2 Likes

Yes @Rod I am part of the Birmingham University research into the efficacy of Covid vaccine in Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL)) patients too.

2 Likes

After getting the results of my first antibody test back in January I was rather disappointed with the result just saying I had some antibodies but nothing about what type, how good or bad, or any other info which would help me make informed choices going forward after Covid.

Then I had an offer to take part in another study - The MELODY Study - and so I said yes and waited for the test kit to arrive. Having read the booklet that comes with the kit this is a bit like the Lateral Flow test kits in that it gives you instant results and tells you what type of antibodies you have if any - IgG or IgM - IgG stay in your body longer; IgM does not stay in your body very long. How long or longer is I don’t know but it’s a start.

So after the fountain of blood when I did the previous test today the release of blood was something of an anti-climax - just a single drop appeared and even then I needed to massage the finger to get a large drop. You place the blood in a “well marked S”; pour 2 drops of buffer liquid into the “well marked B” and wait 10 minutes - before 10 minutes are up you will see what the result is going to be.

So in my case I have IgG which is a positive step forward but as to where I stand compared to the general population I’m none the wiser. Hopefully in time to come further tests will be developed to give results to give us all the opportunity to assess more fully where we all stand in relation to the general population around us in the hope that we can begin to regain our freedoms and venture out more openly amongst friends and in time feel that we have reached a new normal where we don’t feel we need to hide away from the perceived risk of catching Covid.

Whilst I will still wear a facemask when doing the food shopping I too look forward to the day when I can decide that the risk of catching Covid is no greater than catching any other viral infection.

4 Likes

Yes @Venus I have the same problem with my finger, sometimes it spurts blood everywhere, but other times I have to massage and massage my finger to actually get a tiny bit of blood to drip.
So at least you have more a more meaningful result but as you say how many and what quality ???
I am sure the scientists are working on it.
We await, look after yourself

That’s very interesting - thanks, @Venus. I hadn’t heard of these two types of antibody before. And I’m pleased you’ve got some, and the longer lasting sort too.

1 Like

I ve had a antibody test with testing for all cost £45 a very good service it will tell you how many antibody you have i had 2500u/ml

2 Likes

Oh @richard that sounds a good service for a very good price.
At least you seem to have antibodies.
Look after yourself

Hi Richard, could you tell us the name of the company who did the test. :+1:

Thanks.

1 Like

I think it was probably this COVID-19 Immunity Tracker - Testing For All

2 Likes

I have had 2 doses of AZ no boosters (don’t ask)
Last year I had to go to A&E after 7 weeks of having the first dose of AZ after having signs of the blood clot I was ok and tests came back as negative for antibodies

A couple of weeks ago I had covid I presume the omicon and surprisingly! I have developed a good antibody response via natural immunity

4 Likes

Well if something has worked @2DB don’t knock it !!!
Sorry you had the anxiety of getting Covid though, are you over it OK.
Really look after yourself

1 Like

antibody TESTING FOR ALL for all a very good turnaround

2 Likes

Test for T cell and antibody response will be available here soon, they have just recently closed recruitment to the study they were doing.

1 Like

Hi @Tenet thanks for the info, were you part of this study?
Look after yourself

Yes, i was part of this study.

1 Like