Does anyone else feel very alone with the changes that have happened with schools?

That’s really good @Nichola75 it looks as though they have really thought it through and are trying their best but still scary elements i suppose. It is a little different for me as now I’m semi retired I class as a visiting lecturer and it is easier for the uni to drop me from some classes and employ someone else who is not CEV without any obligation to offer alternative on line work. However luckily I sometimes work for clients of the university off premises and they have to agree the substitution, some will, but others won’t and adjustments will have to made. I was really cheered though by the attitude of some sixth formers in a school were I have run a preparation course for their Oxbridge Candidates and I told them I did not feel able to continue with it and asked the uni for a substitute but the students came to the Head of Dept with a complete plan which involved them wearing masks in the group as well as me and using the small physics lab with the better ventilation. I thought this was very thoughtful of them and I am glad to work with them this year.

3 Likes

That’s the attitude to go with. Imprinted off lots of union stuff to read through as well and that helped. Good luck for Friday @Rammie18 x

1 Like

That’s really thoughtful @Ismo. Still lots of very thoughtful people out there!

1 Like

Great kids… they must have a great teacher leading by example! :laughing:

2 Likes

@Ismo that is amazing

1 Like

I understand. My granddaughter is being home educated and is very happy and has progressed further than she did at school. It works well because we can spend more time on going over things until they are clear.

Think schools are not a safe place at the moment . We seem to have put everything into the vaccine which is not full proof and can be passed on by double jabbed. Other measures should have been left in place .

I am hearing about a lot of doubled jabbed getting ill some very ill and one fit healthy chap in his thirties who ended up in hospital. As they say “don’t put all your eggs in one basket”

Keep safe

2 Likes

that is lovely news - what kind students!

2 Likes

that’s really good @Nichola75 !

2 Likes

I agree that it feels a bit pointless trying to avoid Covid so well, when they have removed the household isolation. My friend’s primary class had 7 out with covid this week. I hope that at some point the media will take more interest in the situation, but that relies on it being of enough interest to non-vulnerable people. It’s lovely to read how some students and education settings are putting people first x

1 Like

@Sandra your granddaughter sounds as if she is very happy and doing very well being educated at home.
I think my offspring would probably have ended up educating me !!

1 Like

Thanks @Rammie18 @Nichola75 @Firefly @lousyT they are indeed a pretty decent bunch of students but I have found that over the last year that sometimes once they understand that here is a problem and you are extra vulnerable students are sometimes more willing to find ways around things and be adaptable than some the staff are. I don’t go into details I just say that the vaccine hasn’t worked properly for me so I have to be extra careful and students generally seem happy to wear a mask “for you” even when they disagree with masks in general whereas I have colleagues for whom it is a huge political issue
and they have to make a stand on their civil liberty not to be constrained to wear a mask/ be vaccinated/believe Covid is no worse than bad cold or whatever. Luckily being part time I can generally avoid this although I did get cross when I saw one of them explaining to another on line how to take a lateral flow test so that you could be sure it would be negative-I hope he was mistaken.

4 Likes

@ismo

I’m exactly the same… I’m still on a reduced timetable and though my condition is not commonly known I limit where I am and whom I’m congregating with staff wise as some attitudes are just a bit wreckless but the first to complain when it effects them.

3 Likes

How did you get on @Rammie18 ?

1 Like

My daughter tested positive today - so stressful! Let’s hope the rest of us stay clear! PCR completed :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

So sorry for that Nichola as can imagine all round how that is for you and your family x

2 Likes

So sorry to read this @Nichola75, I hope that you can manage to avoid it and that your daughter isn’t too unwell with it all x

2 Likes

So sorry to hear @Nichola75. Thinking of you all very much. Warm wishes. Willow X

2 Likes

@Nichola75

Sorry to hear your daughter tested positive. For sure a worrying and stressful time… fingers crossed you surf the wave with ease in the breeze…

Chat went ok… Still not sure what I’m doing yet but I need to complete the wellbeing section of the risk assessment and then have another chat about that next week.

My classes this year have started really good and I think they’ll get the best out of me with little for me to do on that which is always great.

1 Like

Oh @Rammie18 I am sure your students are so lucky to have you, your enthusiasm oozes from your post.

1 Like

I agree with @Erica. Your students are very very lucky to have you! Mad things are ok at the moment. Keep us updated and be honest eat in the well being part :blush:

2 Likes