Mental health concerns - Coping at Christmas

Thank you @Alice_BloodCancerUK, @Erica and @Nichola75 for asking how I’m doing following the fall. My foot is improving but my Tesco delivery driver said that he was no longer able to bring my groceries upstairs to my flat, due to tier 4 restrictions. Apparently it is now at the driver’s discretion. Therefore it was a struggle for me as no one was around at the time to help. But I did it! Warm wishes to everyone and thanks for your support. Willow

1 Like

That must have been extremely difficult @Willow! I wonder, Is there a neighbour or friend who could help next time if you give them notice of when it’s arriving? What supper do your local authority offer? Just trying to think of ways that may help so you don’t have to put yourself at risk next time x

1 Like

Oh @Willow, nothing stops you does it. As @Nichola75 says is there anyone that can help?
Obviously when the food is delivered it has to be moved there and then.
I am glad your foot is improving but take it steady and keep posting how you are.

1 Like

Thank you @Erica and @Nichola75 for your kind suggestions. My Carer is often able to help putting my shopping away, but she didn’t come until later in the day and some of the items had to be put in the fridge immediately. I am hoping that the next driver might feel okay to come upstairs as it has never been a problem in the past. We shall see! Warm wishes. Willow

1 Like

Fingers crossed for next time x

1 Like

Hi @Willow

Ditto to what Nichola said :+1: I do hope all will be okay next time with your delivery but let us know how you get on. And if there are further issues, we’re all always here to help talk through any other alternative options you could explore- so please do keep reaching out Willow :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Willow. How’s that foot and how did christmas go? I hope the next delivery was better and you didn’t have to carry up those stairs yourself!

1 Like

Hi @Nichola75. Thank you so much for asking. My foot is improving. My next grocery delivery is on Tuesday 29th. Will let you know how it goes. My Christmas Day worked out very well. I had a quiet day here on my own. It was wonderful to wake up and not feel anxious or under pressure to have people coming or to have to travel anywhere. Sounds selfish but it suited me fine. Grateful that I like my own company. Hope your Christmas is going well. Warm wishes. X Willow

1 Like

Hi @Willow, that sounds a perfect Christmas Day to me and I am glad your foot is improving.
My food delivery came today, no problems but a squashed loaf of bread I got for free and then I sort of managed to un concertina it.
Does anyone else out there like their own company?

Hi @Willow, like you, I enjoyed not having to go anywhere and just doing things at our own pace. My daughters still got dressed up and we enjoyed a more relaxed version of Christmas Day. I’m glad the day went ok and you’re foot is healing well. I’ve got a delivery on the 29th too so hopefully it will run smoothly for both off us! X

1 Like

Being in my own company totally depends what mood I’m in. Sometimes I love it, but at other times my mind wanders to things I don’t want to think about! I’ve gone for a couple of drives on my own recently. Just parked up and watched the world go by. I think it’s needed more when we are all in the house together for a long period of time It helps me to clear my head.

1 Like

@Nichola75, my daily walk with my walkman playing all my favourite music works for me, it clears my mind, gives me time for reflexion, but also fills my head with music if that makes sense.
What works for others?

1 Like

Finding this Christmas hard …so very quiet and way too reflective. Had no phone calls at all from family… just friends… feel like I’m screaming inside
Luckily tv has has,some good humour victoria wood. Morecambe and wise .then call the midwife I’ve not watched the news. . I had a food delivery that didn’t show up luckily had a reserve spot booked so all wasn’t lost.
Here’s to a hopefully more promising 2021…

2 Likes

Hi @Hmc63. It’s lovely to hear from you. I’m sorry Christmas hasn’t been great for you this year. It must have been hard not hearing form your family. Do you usually hear from them regularly? It’s good to post on here and share, as it hopefully gets some of that frustration out. Thank goodness for friends! Did you manage to cook Christmas dinner for you and your mum? I know you love your comedy TV so I’m glad there was some good stuff on! How else are you taking care of yourself? It’s such a challenging time!
Did you have any useful reflections? I know what I’m like sometimes when I have too much time on my hands, my mind wanders. Sometimes there can be positive reflections, sometimes not. Was this the same for anybody else?

1 Like

Hi @Hmc63, sorry that you feel like screaming inside, that must be tough for you.
I didn’t wait for phone calls this year I decided to ring lots of people.
Yes, there were some good humorous programmes on TV. Isn’t it interesting that it was the older repeats I also watched. I spent a lot of time searching for programmes that I really wanted to watch. I also avoided the news !!!.
My food delivery turned up on Sunday but my loaf of bread was somewhat mangled so I got it for free. With careful massaging it regained a bit of shape and it tastes OK.
Yes, it was a quiet, different Christmas for all but let’s hope 2021 holds something better, the main thing is to stay safe and keep posting.

Hello @Nichola75 and @Erica. Just a quick update. I received my grocery delivery today and I’m pleased to report that the driver brought my items upstairs this time, so no problem. No squashed bread either!! Thank you Tesco. Warm wishes to everyone. Hang on in there if you can. Willow X

1 Like

Whoop whoop! I’m so glad. It just makes it less stressful for you. No squashed bread is always an added bonus!!! Glad it all worked out! Now to enjoy the food over new year! X

1 Like

Hi @Willow, wow, that’s a result. I have been a Sainsburys shopper for 50 years can I be bothered to swap now and all for the sake of a squashed loaf of bread !!!
Still eating leftovers here oh, and Heroes. Take care and look after that foot.

1 Like

Thanks for your replies everyone and happy new year . I use to spend Christmas with family 15 of us at the table …now nothing all dwindled away over the last two years. This year I did cook dinner …small turkey breast .cranberry sauce and vedge …quite small but its the effort…mum enjoyed it and so did the dog…
New year was quiet and had loads of messages from friends and sent alot as well … finding those kids cartoons by julia Donaldson very good…room on the broom…what a fantastic imagination…ended up watching Charlie and the chocolate factory…the original …that sing Imagination…sung by gene wilder one of my favourite songs
I’m busy cross stitching …reading and housework …filling my days…waiting for spring…garden time.
Then tv wise well can’t wait for the tv drama call the midwife to begin and my favorite Line of duty… been watching Ealing comedies and very old carry on films …Love Alec Guiness in Lavender hill.mob and lady killers.
Before I get square eyes …better sign off
Thanks and happy new year to everyone

1 Like

Yes, @Hmc63, a very different Christmas this year and I am glad you all, including the dog, enjoyed your cooking.
Isn’t it interesting what we watch at Christmas, I also caught bits of the Pink Panther films as well as your comedies.
I am also a Line of Duty girl and call that quality TV, I am also poised for the next series. I am working my way through Spooks on iplayer.
My days are certainly full and I am in a good routine, I love my daily walk. I am in a flat so I do not have a garden. I was given a pointsetta before Christmas and it has not got many green leaves left and I have talked to it and really looked after it too.
Lets support each other on this forum because it has not been an easy time for so many, Please let us know how things are for you all?

1 Like