MGUS and Glucose / Hypoglycaemia connection

Hi everyone I have not been on here lately as working a lot and family, but can I just ask has anyone with monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) had problems with their glucose levels, as I have been diagnosed with Hypoglycaemia as my blood sugars drop low … thank you

2 Likes

Hi @Maxwe3s I was wondering how you were doing ,looking over the MGUS posts so good you have posted.Thats an interesting point you raise.I have had blood screeing for diagnosing diabetes but I am under the level so im ok.However I do notice that I can suddenly dive down so get a bannana /oat bisc and if I dont get my evening meal on time I am a right grump so yes I am aware of a drop in levels.
I eat a "healthy "snack as it keeps the levels higher for longer than say chocolate,and drink my 8 glasses of water a day lol.It sounds as though you have been busy juggling your work and family commitments.
How are your “watch and wait” tests going?
Thanks for posting and look after yourself.
Bannanacake

1 Like

@Maxwe3s I just wanted to say that it is great to hear from you again.
@Bannanacake has given you a great response and shows the value of our forum.
I remember when I was working I would just work, run a home and sleep.
Look after yourself and spoil yourselves

1 Like

Are thank you so much for your replies, yeah just so busy working and looking after our family :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m hoping to get an appointment soon with my consultant and I am going to ask about my blood sugars dropping… my “ watch and wait “ check ups going ok, another coming up soon. I am also getting my Vb12 injection on Wednesday and I can’t wait as my energy levels are so low… I was at the doctors last week as been having ongoing back pain, it was a different doctor and I kind of felt that he just didn’t want to listen to me… going for another MRI soon for my back …I will let you know soon xxx

2 Likes

Thats good to know things are in progress although its not very reassuring when you dont feel heard but if you’re expecting an appointment with your Consultant hopefully
he will,it is important to mention new symptoms as you say you are having an MRI soon.Good that your other bloods are doing OK .I found it useful having an MGUS diary from Myeloma UK to record my results,they will send one if you call the support line .Yes ,I too have Vit B12 my levels were on low side but now pretty constant so I have them same time as my watch and wait ones.Re your back have you tried some gentle exercises, I got some help from the Physio after referral from the Neurologist so I do stretches every day and use Voltarol.I dont have a family to look after now(just my husband and we look after each other )so Ive got the space,I didnt make time when they were all at home
Will" watch" to see how you are going and take care .

1 Like

I was diagnosed with MGUS three years ago. I recently started go get really dizzy spells which lasted an hour or so, once or twice a week. So I started checking my glucose levels. The dizzy spells matched with sudden drops in glucose levels to quite low levels e.g 2.7 - 3.7. Once I ate some glucose tabs, I was okay again. I don’t know if this is connected to MGUS - just reading about it, when I came across your post. I’ve just had some blood tests, which show low glucose, low WBC, low albumin and phosphate but diabetes and thyroid test look normal. So I’m just waiting to see what the Dr says.

3 Likes

Hi @LisaMort welcome and great that you have posted with your experiences, fascinating, aren’t we complex beings and sometimes I want to attribute all my symptoms to my blood cancer.
I look forward to hearing more about you.
We await others joining this thread.
Look after yourself and keep those glucose tablets on you

1 Like

Hi @LisaMort, welcome to the forum, and thank you for posting. May I ask how you’re doing? It can be very worrying to feel unwell and have symptoms we cannot explain, and I’m glad you’ve shared with us. You mentioned that you’ve had some blood tests done and are waiting to see what the doctor says- may I ask if you have an appointment to follow up on your results and symptoms? If you haven’t already, I’d encourage you do so, and certainly you don’t have to wait to be given an appointment, you’re well within your rights to request one. It’s always important to have new or worrying symptoms looked at, and your doctor should be able to help you put your results and symptoms into context, and advise you of any further tests to be done if needed.

I do hope you’re doing okay and please do let us know how you get on. Our Support Team are here for you should you wish to talk about any of this over the phone, 0808 2080 888.

Best wishes,
Tanya.

2 Likes