New persistent cough? diagnosed CLL 2018 on W&W

I have had a persistent dry cough for two weeks, am seeing my Hematologist on Monday next. Any advice appreciated. Thanks Ron.

1 Like

Hi @Vindicatrix. Is this for a planned check up or you are seeing him/her because you feel unwell?

1 Like

Hi @Vindicatrix persistent coughs really down.
Perhaps do a test before you see your Haematologist, so you tell them that it was negative (if it is positive cancel your appointment and report the result).
See what the Haematologist says about your cough and it’s persistence.
If you do not get any help there perhaps it is going to your GP, testing beforehand again.
Be pleasantly assertive
Just an unmedical thought from me.
Look after yourself

4 Likes

Hi Ron
If you have had a new persistent cough for 2 weeks then it’s maybe an idea to get it checked with your GP & probably a good idea to do a covid test before calling to make the appointment. That way you can tell them that you are hopefully negative. Explain any concerns. If you need any other support please let us know as we are happy too help. Warm wishes :cherry_blossom:

4 Likes

Good Morning @Vindicatrix,
How are you feeling this morning? As many others have suggested, the first process of elimination certainly would be a covid test.
Following that it may be a good idea to seek advice from your GP if you can perhaps get an appointment before seeing your haematologist.
May i ask are you feeling well otherwise or do you have any other signs of infection or indeed a virus?
Do know that if you want to talk things through, our support line is open 7 days a week- Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK.

Take Care, Lauran

4 Likes

Thanks for that Lauran, I saw my GP this morning, I have had a chest crackle for a few years which she knew about, but on sounding me out, she confirmed that it is still there, and put me on a course of anti biotics.

Due to my Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) she thought it was best to cover all bases. I will mention this to my Haematologist tonight. Thanks again for your interest, I will keep you updated. Ron

4 Likes

Hi Nichola, thanks for your interest, it is my four monthly check up, I saw my GP this morning and after sounding me out, she confirmed that I have an old chest crackle which is still there.

She out me on Antibiotics in view of my Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL), which was a precautionary measure I think. RegardsRon.

3 Likes

Hi Erica and thanks for your interest, I saw my GP this morning and she found an old Chest Crackle’ which is still there. She put me on Antibiotics, as a precautionary measure I think.

(Like all Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL)’rs ) I’m always worried about Chest Infections,
I am seeing my Haematologist tonight, and I will mention it to him then. tHANKS AGAIN. rON

4 Likes

Thanks for keeping us updated. Hopefully antibiotics will do the trick!

2 Likes

Hi @Vindicatrix please do let us know what your Hematologist says and whether the antibiotics are effective or not
Look after yourself

2 Likes

Hi @Vindicatrix,
Thank you for updating us and i hope your feeling okay today.
I am pleased you have been able to see your GP & you have been given what sounds like a really sensible plan. Hopefully the antibiotics will prevent any worsening of your cough and settle it right down.

Rest Up and Take Care, Lauran

4 Likes

Hi @Vindicatrix, glad you got yourself checked out. My doctor usually gives me antibiotics when an infection lasts longer than it should. I too have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL), and his take is if it’s not clearing up within the normal time scale, and taking into consideration my reduced immune response, then a short dose of antibiotics should be enough. It seems your doctor may be of the same opinion. I hope it works for you and your cough clears up. Persistent coughs are just annoying!

3 Likes