The unexpected benefits of 2020?

I have been reflecting my 2020, it is easy for me to focus on the negatives which most of us know all too well, but what about my unexpected benefits of 2020:
It has given me the opportunity to slow down and to decide how I want to spend my time and energy.
I have learnt to say ‘No’ and saying my needs more and not just doing what is expected of me.
I have got to understand my emotions and thoughts better.
I have taken stock of what relationships are really important to me.
I have spent more time with my husband and I have practiced not looking at his behaviours and ‘funny little ways’, but looking at my own and making changes.
We are making more time to talk to each other.
We are having more food treats.
I have managed not to graze and put on weight.
I have tried to improve my fitness by doing a Pilates DVD every day.
I have looked at the commitments I had and which I did not wish to continue with.
I have learnt how to use Zoom, Skype and What’s app.
I have made choices about what meetings and webinars I want to attend.
I have managed to get the most from telephone medical appointments.
I have made choices about what voluntary work I want to do.
I have got used to ordering more on line.
I have put pen to paper more and sent more cards.
I have really enjoyed my daily walks and really appreciated nature and wildlife.
My hand hygiene has improved and I am making sure I use hand cream every evening.
I have got used to wearing a face mask and not be worried what I look like.
I have actually done some jobs on my extensive ‘to do’ list.
I have really, really appreciated everyone’s posts and support on this forum and it has given me a place where I can really be me with people that will understand as perhaps family and friends sometimes cannot.
I really look forward to hearing other’s views.

7 Likes

Wow Erica, in a time of such worry it was great to read all of the things you listed. They all made me smile and lots of them resonated with me. You have talked about so many positives in so many different areas of your life. I love the fact that lots of these are focussed around your mental well-being. I found this really difficult - to focus on the benefits and positives but it was a really useful task for me. So, here goes:

• having breakfast and dinner as a family
  • becoming more confident in using zoom
  • exploring my fears snd worries and finding ways to manage better
  • supporting children and families at work to reintegrate back into school life - I’m actually a bloody good teacher and do make a difference
  • recognising that it’s ok to ask for support
  • listening to the girls talk about their school day.
  • helping my daughters work through their worries and seeing them go from having g complete meltdowns to dealing with things so much better.
  • being at home with my husband with only a few disagreements - we do make a good team!
  • dedicated time to catch up with those who are important to me - not a rushed phone call
  • evaluating what it is I need in the future to feel like my diagnosis has a purpose
  • it’s ok to be scared - but take it day by day and don’t bottle things up.
  • work is an important part of me - but not as important as switching off and having family time.
    There we go!
4 Likes

Really good to read these! Would be interesting to hear if others have found that there have been some unexpected positives to come out of this year…

1 Like

@Nichola75, @Erica
Wow you’ve both been busy!
I realise I actually need people around me. I love to chat but I’m a good listener too.
I seem to be the initiator of phone calls & other lines of communication with my friends.
I’ve really enjoyed gardening & growing vegetables for us to eat.
I’ve re-engaged with baking, especially as my little grandson, 2 & 1/2, always asks for ‘cake’ when he comes to see us through the window. (When asked what he wants for Christmas he says cake & a ride in Daddy’s car) I’m making a large chocolate cake decorated like a big Father Christmas face & delivering it Christmas Eve.
I’ve walked miles, sometimes with others, sometimes on my own.
I’ve painted, played board games, done jigsaw puzzles & read numerous books.
I do brain games on my iPad.
I’ve done all my shopping online.
I’ve learnt how to use Zoom.
But most of all I’ve realised how close I am to my two grown up children & their families & how lucky I am.
I’ve learnt who my real friends are.
I’ve knitted 2 jumpers & 2 cardigans.
However, I have still put off a few of the things on my ‘to do’ list. So I guess I can’t commit.

2 Likes

Another really lovely list of things to read. I can’t wait for you to post a picture of the cake you are making for your grandson. Isn’t it amazing the things that are important to children, a drive and nanny’s cake! It melts my heart! Your family sound amazing too! X

2 Likes

Thanks for a great list @Erica.
I’m with @Corfu80 I’ve realised how much I like to engage and have people around me
I’ve enjoyed some of the solitude as it’s let me reflect on what matters
I’ve realised I don’t really want a career. I want to do something that makes me happy
I’ve enjoyed cooking different food and baking as I have had the time
I’ve loved being able to try different exercise classes online
I’ve loved learning new skills and doing online courses
I miss my family and won’t take anyone or anything for granted
I still can’t speak Spanish or use my sewing machine, but maybe that was just a step too far!!!

It’ll be interesting to see if life really does change once we get a vaccine. I hope so or all that time in lockdown will have taught us nothing about how we need to live in the moment and treasure what we have

1 Like

Definitely @Lou! A really great list of things and so much learnt! I still think you have time to learn Spanish! :wink:

2 Likes

@Lou
Think you’d have more fun with the sewing machine at present.
Spanish isn’t much good to you until we can go on holiday.
Roll on that day!

2 Likes

@Corfu80 I can’t wait. It’ll not be til Summer now though as my daughter has her A-levels in June, poor soul, she has been dealt the worst hand: I was in the hospital during her GCSEs and Covid has run amok over her A-levels. Needs a bit of luck on her side at some stage. And @Nichola75 I will learn Spanish but might need an extension to summer, I’m more likely to learn Spanish than sewing!

1 Like

hi everyone! it has been so good to read through all of these :smiley: and we can’t wait to hear more, so do keep them coming!!

It sounds like what has been a common theme for a lot of people, is being able to spend more time with our loved ones at home and having the opportunity to learn new skills?

1 Like

Are you fluent yet @Lou?

1 Like

Have you started on your cake yet @Corfu80?

1 Like

@Nichola75
Hi,
Cake baked but frozen bare. Going to butter cream ice & decorate this week.
Had a go at Macarons…first attempt, some smaller ones cooked too long & recipe said to make a choc filling by melting choc & stirring in some milk. Sounded strange, & it was!
Going to have another go but when we eventually have a late ‘Christmas’ with my daughter & her boyfriend, whenever that may be?
Made a Butter Rum Christmas cake (Good Housekeeping recipe) but only hubby to eat it as all Christmas plans cancelled :disappointed: I’ll have to ration it or else he’d just gorge as he loves cake, especially fruit cake & rums his favourite tipple.

1 Like

You have been busy @Corfu80. You have to post a finished picture. I can already imagine the smile on your grandsons face! As for your husband, you better hide that cake! Christmas plans later in the year is something I’m looking forward to as well! :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Corfu80, wow, you put me shame and that Good Housekeeping recipe Christmas cake sounds yummy, I am sure it will get your husbands seal of approval.
Please let us know how the version 2 macarons goes.
Has anyone else got some culinary tales to tell?

1 Like

@Erica @Nichola75
You’ll have to wait until I have my ‘Family Christmas Day’, whenever that may be!
I’m not going to make macarons until we can all get together.
1 Husband has a terrible sweet tooth & he’s not supposed to overdo the sugar since his heart attack.
2 it’s my daughter who’s the connoisseur of macarons.
So on hold!
Christine

1 Like

Ooohhhh, no macaroons yet @Corfu80.
Anyone got a signature dish out there?