Tips on hydration

OK, we all sort of know, the more H2O we drink, the better it is for our bodies and that thicky, M25/M60/M11 at rush hour blood that Jak2 gifted us.
I drive long distances a lot, walk miles and have an extra bit of genetic plumbing that means one pint in, one or two pints out fairly quickly, so I tend to be hesitant about the amount of fluid I take.
Love my, coffee, tea, red wine and real ale and despite pleading my case that all are more than 96% water, the medical lot says they are not a good source of fluids :frowning: bah!
Water bores me, any one got any tips for making it less boring and make it more interesting to drink more of?

3 Likes

Here I am your H20 girl @clickinhistory !!!
I realise water bores you, and as you know I am not a medical person, but, and I have not looked at the ingredients, but what about water with a hint ofā€¦
They would be more expensive than H20 from the tap.
Other thoughts are adding a slice or slices of orange, lemon or cucumber.
This is definitely not a medical reply and others might put me right.
I shall now have a sip of my mug of (what was) boiling water.

4 Likes

@Erica with a hint of barley and hops, coco beans, peat, tea leaves, grapes :wink:
Is putting cucumber in water like wearing demin with demin? Very Status Quo LOL
Hope your seasonal tipple of lukewarm water has tinsel round the mug :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am sitting here with a red reindeer hoodie on and little ears on the hood @clickinhistory and yes, I did go out for my walk in it and it raised a few smiles, laughs and looks of incredulity.
My reason for saying cucumber was that somewhere I have lunch with a friend has jugs of water with a few slices of cucumber in.
Iā€™m on your side with your logical hints of and can never understand why the people in the know say no.!!!

5 Likes

Hi @clickinhistory
I have hot water with a spoonful of honey in it. I find it helps the boring old waterā€¦and honey is good for you too :+1:

4 Likes

Good question, @clickinhistory! I can get bored with ā€˜plainā€™ water too, but Iā€™ve found simply adding ice makes it feel slightly less dull, but thatā€™s more of a summer thing. I got into drinking flavoured fizzy water like Erica mentioned, and some of the brands are tasty without having anything nasty added, whereas others can taste artificial. Personally I hate the taste of LaCroix. And continuing @AllyBallyā€™s honey idea, there are plenty of herbal teas that are tasty, like rooibosch and peppermint, that donā€™t have caffeine. Rooibosch can even be made in the same way as you have black tea. Thereā€™s also chai that you can make milky and sweet :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Ha ha ha AKA Canadian Tuxedo

2 Likes

Good question @clickinhistory. Personally I love the taste of ginger and I have discovered several brands of ginger and lemon cordial, with all natural ingredients. I dilute it with either hot or cold water. There are also fruit squashes that can be diluted in the same way but I often find them rather too sweet whereas the ginger cordial is less sweet. Warm wishes Willow

4 Likes

My dad absolutely hates water but has to drink lots of it. A friend bought him a soda stream and that seems to have done the trick. Making it fizzy makes it just that bit more drinkable. And he can add cordial too if he feels like it.

4 Likes

My go to is Ribena the diet one as I call it otherwise known as low sugar, I used to drink 2 litres plain water a day plus about 3-4 cups of tea and suddenly got bored so Ribena it is :blush:

4 Likes

@Erica guess you are trying to drive down the house prices in your area to buy up the whole street by the sound of it :wink:
Once got pulled over by the police on the way to a party one Xmas/New Year on the outskirts of Leicester while they were doing random blow the balloon checks.
They faces when they asked us to all get out of the car, one 16th century Inn keeper and his wench, a French noble and a lady of the court standing by the roadside, cars honking their horns and the police bent double, I was driving my old mini clubman estate at the time. No mobile phones or internet thank god in those days :wink:

3 Likes

@AllyBally mulled meadā€¦ ok perhaps not when driving perhaps, monks seem to thrive on it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Ilona @Suenew1967 @Willow @Duncan
Thanks for the suggestions, though waiting on the fashion photos from @Duncan rocking the New Years Eve bash :wink:
Personally I find the added CO2 and nitrogen in the sparkling stuff too acidic and to give it the correct technical term, burpy.
Though I also find I end up going through cordial fast as I end up pouring a third of the bottle in just to taste it, though when I am not driving or walking, the chai sounds like a change form mugs of hot chocolate

1 Like

Ah yes, my dad also has that technical side effect :joy:

4 Likes

Funnily enough Iā€™m just not feeling like getting dressed to the nines to celebrate new yearā€™s eve this year, hmm wonder why :dna::drop_of_blood::bucket:

2 Likes

Hi @clickinhistory @AllyBally @Duncan @Willow @Ilona @Suenew1967 as a non medical person I am getting very confused what constitutes a persons H20 intake and what doesnā€™t.
I honestly do not know the answer
I am not good with bubbles either!!!
I shall celebrate New Years Eve in my honey monster onesie, if anyone wants to know (not visualise!!)

3 Likes

Hi @Erica ,
Tee heeā€¦I was always told anything ā€˜madeā€™ with water was part of your fluid intake, such as tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc, in addition to other things such as milk. Not sure where the prosecco, gin etc would alignā€¦:joy::joy::joy:
Would love to see a pick of you in your new years eve onesie Erica!
Xxx

3 Likes

@AllyBally @Erica opening up the options, custard, hot or cold, pint of that lasts no time what so ever :smile:

2 Likes

I was gifted a brita water filter which I keep in the fridge which was a water game changer even my kids drink water now

I also use my new garmin (Fitbit resigned to scrap heap) :smiley: where I log my cups of water my goal is 11

Water is good for all our internal organs and our skin
I think my bladder is well trained now too

4 Likes

@2DB went down the aisle in Lidl this morning, hitting the ā€œSHUDDER!ā€ none caffeine teas, coffee with out caffeine is a bridge too far :wink:
Trying honey and ginger today.
Like I said, that extra gift of nature in the plumbing supercharges things a bit :smile:

2 Likes