Headache after blood letting

The sisters of the bloods ward (great band name, tshirts on preorder :wink: )have decided to continue with taking blood every two weeks as a so far failed, attempt to get the count numbers down, think they have mine linked to the RPI +3.9% used by mobile phone companies.
OK, today was a cold and breezy day to walk to and from the hospital, but this has been the first time I have had a long headache afterwards, despite the veg soup in a mug, cheese and tom brown bread sarnie and a mug of tea.
Anyone else had this side effect?
It has also set off the nerves in my neck and shoulders damaged in the car crash last July.

2 Likes

Oh yes, I always get slight headaches after phlebotomy. Thankfully not too bad, and they pass once I’ve rehydrated and eaten a sugary treat :coffee::doughnut:

Looking forward to those band t-shirts! How did the procedure go today?

2 Likes

Interesting, no, I don’t think I remember @clickinhistory having a headache.
I await others experiences and the Blood Cancer UK nurses thoughts @BloodCancerUK_Nurses

2 Likes

@Duncan will let @BloodCancerUK in on the ground floor for a percentage of profits once proofs are done. :wink:
Over 30 minutes for the right arm to deliver 400ml, decided it is because I lived in Yorkshire for so long, become a bit tight in giving anything away. Fed and watered though, just first time it has left me a tad tired afterwards.
You thought all those extra oxygen cells would be good for something :slight_smile:
@Erica as above, just a uncomfortable heaviness and a tired feeling, but felt great walking afterwards, just glad I made sure I had no clients afterwards.
PS you have not shared any more cold weather fashion tips for a while :wink:

2 Likes

30 minutes seems pretty fast to me. Could almost be fitted into a lunch break, albeit a slightly gory one. Good work, your veins!

1 Like

@Duncan used to be ten minutes so a bit frustrating, but getting more reading done lol

2 Likes

Did they warm your veins before they started? Apparently warmer, hydrated veins are plumper and thus easier to drain :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

not a mulled wine, a small dram or a mug of hot chocolate was offered. That is why I walked there, thought it would get the sludge nice a warmed up before I got there.
I have good veins it seems, just treacle inside.

2 Likes

Ha I’d love a nice hot drink during mine! I’m occasionally offered a heated arm-warmer which does feel rather pleasant. The chairs were recently updated where I go and it’s like being in one of those fancy reclining cinema seats now!

2 Likes

@Duncan I am not sure the NHS consultants are willing to give up their posh office furniture just yet so we can get those seats, not sure we would get @Erica out of them :wink:

3 Likes

Oh @clickinhistory and @Duncan I am sporting the ‘Michelin Man’ look in this cold spell and I can spot a comfy seat at 50 yds even without my specs on. xx

3 Likes

Bet it’s a very fetching look on you, dear @Erica. Just found myself at a bus stop with its bench intact so am making good use of it!

3 Likes

@Duncan you just know that @Erica is that person who beats you to the comfy window seat in the bar or coffee house :wink:

3 Likes

Hello @clickinhistory
If you are having venesections you may become anaemic and there is less blood volume following the procedure. This can make you feel tired and cause headaches. It may be worth mentioning to the nurses next time as you may need to increase your fluid intake during and after the procedure.
Sorry to hear that you also have neck pain too, do you have any pain relief for this?
Take care
Gemma

3 Likes

@GemmaBloodCancerUK thanks for that info, I will speak to them on Friday when I am back in.
As for the lingering after effects of the car crash, ie the neck and shoulder pain, Lidl middle aisle came up trumps with the shiatzu massage cushion as paracetamol is the only option now I am on baby aspirin and it does not touch the pain.

2 Likes

@GemmaBloodCancerUK Let the nurses at the leech station know about the effects of the last visit and being wiped out in the weeks afterwards and after an American football style huddle (twice after remembering I have Polycythaemia vera (PV)) they decided to take a sample and do a full check ready for my visit to the Aldi doc on Monday and then come round afterwards to have a bit more taken.
Levels are all too high, but they were concerned about the side effects of taking more blood.
Missed out on soup, sandwich and tea though :frowning:

2 Likes

How are you doing post-appointment? I’d say try not to worry too much about those higher levels—I keep being told by phlebotomy nurses that our blood cell numbers can rise and fall irrespective of how well we’re tolerating treatments. How frustrating to be doing all the right things and have these tests and procedures and yet the results don’t always correspond! Perhaps you’re a bit run down on top of the usual joyous Myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN) stuff? I guess you’ll find out on Monday :drop_of_blood::face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

@Duncan the levels appear to have the stubbornness of a couple Bay dolphins being asked nicely to give you a lift to that conference :wink:
As the nice nurse said, when you have Polycythaemia vera (PV), the rule book goes out the window. Though she did say they have a spike of blood cancers recently coming in, but she feels it is down to better awareness of GP’s and better blood testing, rather than anything else.
All those atom bombs going off, dust from the WW2 and all those chemicals pumped out in industry, got to have done something to us all?
And typical, my blood flowed like a trooper to be tested lol.
By the time I had walked back from the hospital, I was actually relieved as working and being wiped is not a good combination.
Monday will be fun and hopefully will get more than a smile and run along with another pint visit.

2 Likes

It’s a strange sort of relief to know that our nurses on different continents are basically telling us the same stuff, even if it’s that we’ll have these varying reactions to treatment! Glad you’re feeling okay, let’s hope it’s all good next week.

Sounds like you also wonder what sorts of carcinogens we may have encountered to trigger these gene mutations. Neuroscience is discovering all sorts of fascinating links between epigenetic trauma passed on from our elders who’ve experienced such traumatising life events that they affected their genes which can then be passed onto us, like the children and grandchildren of Holocaust survivors having more likelihood of developing PTSD. Then there’s childhood trauma that can affect our physical health in adulthood. Those of us who are Generation X and older lived with so many nasty unregulated chemicals, like weedkillers, that have accumulated in us and aren’t likely to have done any good :flushed:

I’ll keep an eye out for any passing dolphins, whales, maybe even particularly large sea lions to catch a lift over tomorrow. I’d prefer to teleport, personally, or take a bus as I don’t want my notebook to get soggy!

1 Like

Thank you for updating me @clickinhistory.
Let me know how you get on with the Doctor today? I hope you get a plan in place.
Take care
Gemma

3 Likes