Vaccine for c19

Just wondered how people feel about this new vaccine. If your immune system is compromised because of chemo medication. Does that mean we can’t have the vaccine …just a thought. Not heard anything at all wondered if anyone had heard anything from anyone

1 Like

A very good question @Hmc63, which I have thought about a lot about and I have been listening to the medical experts opinions.
I am not jumping up and down with excitement at this stage.
I think it is too early.
I would like to know that any vaccine is:
Suitable for blood cancer patients.
For me, that it is suitable for the over 70yrs old.
Vigorously tested on a very large number of candidates, so the extracted data is more reliable.
What are the long term side effects.
How long is it effective for.
Are there other vaccines in the pipeline that are more suitable for me.
I feel the rigorous licensing process of drugs is there for a purpose and should not be short cut.
Etc, etc.
I also heard the vaccine need to be stored at extremely cold temperatures which has got to be overcome.
Having worked in analytical chemistry and the manufacturing industry there are the logistics to be thought about and where are all the suitable premises, suitable storage facilities, trained manufacturing staff, raw materials and packaging coming from and then qualified people to administer the injections. It all takes time.
I know what I need to do to stay safe and will continue to do so at this time.
I am sure my medical team and Blood Cancer UK will give me guidance nearer the time.
I would be interested in others points of view.

1 Like

Hello @Hmc63 thank you for starting this topic! |Just wanted to share some of our response to this that we shared on our social media this week, in case it’s helpful at all to anyone -
"While this is really encouraging news, the research has not yet been published in scientific journals, and we need to give scientists the opportunity to comment on these findings. Our hope is that this vaccine will be suitable for people with blood cancer, but we’ll have to wait to find out if that is the case.

The more people who are protected against the coronavirus, the less likely people with blood cancer are to come into contact with it. This means it would still be good news for people with blood cancer even if it isn’t effective for them. In particular, we could significantly reduce the risk to the people with blood cancer if the people they live with get the vaccine.

We need to wait for the vaccine to be approved, but the fact that there is a realistic possibility of the UK getting millions of doses within weeks is very exciting. Access to the vaccine will be restricted at first, and so we need to make sure we’re making the right judgements in prioritising who receives it first.

The current provisional guidance suggests that over-65s would be vaccinated before people aged under 65 who are extremely clinically vulnerable and, given the risk of death from coronavirus for people with blood cancer, we need to look at this again.

We also need to include people who live with clinically extremely vulnerable group as a separate priority."

3 Likes

I think this may be a live vaccine and not suitable for those undergoing chemotherapy, although if enough other people are vaccinated it could protect the extremely vulnerable. Still early days yet…

1 Like

@Pisces56 it’s so lovely to hear from you! hope you’re okay :slight_smile:

As you touch on, there’s still so much we are learning about the Pfizer covid-19 vaccine, and whether it is a live vaccine or not, will as you say, be so very significant for our blood cancer community. We hope as we come to know more about it, we will be able to answer such important questions like this with greater certainty and confidence.

And you make a really good second point, and to also echo Alice, the really promising thing is that even if it were the case that it isn’t as effective for people affected by blood cancer, if the vaccine can be safely given to people they live with and the wider general public around them, this would make a difference in terms of reducing the risk of contraction.

@Pisces56 but yes you’re right, it is early days! but we will continue to work hard to learn more and keep you all informed :+1:

Su

3 Likes

I think I was initially excited but the more I hear about it, the more my excitement gets dampened. I heard the discussions on cancer blogs that it might not be suitable for blood cancer patients. Also the UK has only bought enough doses for 20 million people and over 65’s get priority. As there are about 12 million over 65’s it’s unlikely they’ll be any left for people of my age even if it is suitable.

1 Like

Fab overview and this is exactly where I am sitting right now. Working in the pharmaceutical industry provides a wealth of knowledge and as you quite rightly point out, the reliance on those safeguarding public health should never be compromised.
Data is key, if this takes time we need to continue to keep safe until we have all the answers needed.

3 Likes

Hi @Shelley, great to welcome you to our forum. Yes, working in the pharmaceutical industry certainly does give you that extra perspective which is fascinating and you are so right in what you say, data is the key.
What has it been like in the workplace for you?
I look forward to hearing more about you and yes, till then continue to keep safe and keep posting.

I’m not sure how I feel about it at all to soon to tell.
Personally I think if they vaccinated everyone else then anyone ‘extremely vulnerable’ would to all intents and purposes be protected.
Unfortunately that would be costly and not enough enough vaccine to go round, so highly unlikely.

I had thought the vaccines were synthetic? Maybe I misunderstood, no nothing about pharmaceuticals. My first thought though was, if your immune system doesn’t make enough antibodies anyway, then how does a vaccine that is suppose to kickstart your immune system going to be effective?
Can anyone enlighten me?

1 Like