Walk of Light - for those who enjoy walking

Hi Everyone, Just sharing this here in case some don’t know about it … this year is the first year for Blood Cancer Uk’s Walk of Light event and I am really looking forward to taking part… anyone else?

Walk of Light for Blood Cancer UK | Blood Cancer UK

3 Likes

Hi @AnnaMam it sounds a brilliant, really good idea and great publicity. Also you have not got to raise a specific minimum amount.

1 Like

& it’s free to enter.
I think that’s a big plus.

1 Like

Hi @Corfu80, the fact that it is free to enter is a big plus.
Is anyone else going to do this very special Walk of Light?

@Erica
I think I’m going to plan to do this. By then Orlagh will have had her jabs & be used to a collar & lead.
Who knows by then we might be allowed more people to join us!

1 Like

Hi @Corfu80 I am glad that Orlagh is also a Blood Cancer UK supporter.

Give me time to think it over. I haven’t really walked anywhere much in the last year which is terrible (except for a couple of coastal walks taken at my very slow pace!).

1 Like

@Franko
You don’t have to do any certain distance.
If a walk round the block is enough for you then do it, there are no distances expected.
If it’s once round the back garden. It doesn’t matter.
This is a way of raising a few pounds to continue the good work that Blood Cancer UK do.
I’ve set my goal @ £100 which will fund a researcher to analyse 120 blood cell samples.
£500 would find a nurse for 3 days.
Christine

1 Like

I shall certainly think about it. My bar is probably going to be quite low! I used to do walks of 50 and 100 km but those days are over now sadly.

1 Like

Hi there …I’m planning on doing the Walk of Light though so haven’t set up my Just Giving page yet .How far are you planning on walking-?

1 Like

Hi @Lynda,
I’ll not be walking far as Orlagh will only be about 4 months old & is only supposed to walk a maximum of 20 mins twice a day.

2 Likes

Hi all.
Since lockdown 1 i have been a couch potato full time i have signed up for it and with my daughter we are going to do a 5k walk, already i have raised nearly £400 for blood cancer i cant wait to get started.

1 Like

I have signed up too. I need to set up my just giving page. Not sure how far I plan to walk yet.

1 Like

Hi @Charliewatts a great big welcome to our forum and you are hitting the ground walking. I have found walking with someone really helps because you can support each other and take your mind off what you are going through !! Obviously at the moment social distancing and masking you might apply.
I suppose it is like the support I feel on this forum helps me.
I look forward to hearing more about you.

Hi @Charliewatts
Well done. Good for you. Something to aim for. £400 that’s brilliant! You’ve got your t-shirt to wear with pride. Probably over the top of your winter coat cos it’ll still be quite cool in the evening in March.
Glad you’ve found the forum. Welcome.

1 Like

Hi corfu thanks for welcome, i was diagnosed in july 2019 with cml i was also made redundant from my work in aug 2020 like many on here i guess its all ups and many downs, we must all look out for each other and hope there are good times ahead to come, i feel a 5k walk for blood cancer is the least i can do after being looked after so well by the nhs.

2 Likes

I’m signed up.
The walk falls on my (second!) lockdown birthday, so I’m asking for donations to just giving page or supportive walking from wherever friends and family are.
Happily some people have already gifted. Every cloud has a copper, bronze, silver or gold lining.

1 Like

Sounds good to me, please let us know how you get on.

1 Like

I will!
It’s 2 days into chemo cycle so hoping not to be too tired and battered - I’m hoping to do 10k :+1:t3::+1:t3:

1 Like

Against my better judgement I signed up to do it. I’ve been doing walks most days since which is an achievement as I’ve had lots of mobility problems the last three or four years but seem to be coping. I’m not sure how far I’m going to get on the 27th but I’ll push it as far as the road takes me. So far raised 375 pounds which is better than the last time I tried to raise money. Good luck anyone else who is doing it!

2 Likes