How I am trying to keep fit

Thanks for the update, gosh, you have been through it since the end of February. It is the side effects that often don’t get talked about but can be so debilitating and also make it so difficult to stay positive, especially when I know how much you enjoy getting out and about on your bike. It is OK to share all the side issues you are having as perhaps it is one of the few spaces where people have had similar issues and probably the same fears, thoughts and feelings, we are all here to support you. Take care.

1 Like

Dear nick, so sorry to hear you have been having a hard time. I have been in a similar situation myself recently and have almost had to start from scratch where fitness is concerned so understand your frustration. I’m just taking baby steps at the moment but am starting to improve on a daily basis with the help of OxyContin for my pain, which is fantastic if used carefully. So hang on in there and be patient with yourself, I’m not putting pressure on myself to do too much and just going with the flow. Best wishes from a fellow traveller. Alfie

1 Like

This thread hasn’t been added to for a while but it was great reading how people were keeping fit. How are you doing now? @Nickmarks57 @Richcastle @MissP143 @Erica

1 Like

Hi @Matt_H I am doing well today, thanks and I am fitter than I have ever been, take care of yourself

1 Like

Hi Everyone
Up until I learned I had Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) FLT3 in July this year I was very fit and at the gym 3 or 4 even 5 times a week. In just over a year I lost 3 stones. My resting heart rate was 52-54 beats per minute. Since Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) it’s shot up at one stage to 90 and is currently 81. Is it possible to recover to below 70 or below 60? I am 70 years old.

1 Like

Hi @Stuart52 very interesting, somethings I had never thought or bothered about.
I have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and was diagnosed 19 yrs ago. I was 53yrs old and not very fit.
Since then I have lost about 3 stone and by pre Covid I had built myself up to doing Pilates and I was going to the gym at least 5 times a week.
Post the Covid 2 yrs I am now a Pilates girl and a great walker.
My resting heartbeat was about 60 beats per minute several years back, but now it appears to be around 80, I am now 73yrs old.
Just facts I do not know what it all means.
Take care

Hi Erica, and thanks for your response. It’s interesting to see how we’re all doing. When I first took ill with Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) I thought it was a virus and went to a high intensity session at the gym. 4 days later it was hospital and “We think you have leukaemia”. I know muscle strength can be rebuilt but wasn’t sure if it would work with Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML). Some of the information can be confusing. What I see now is that it’s important to push yourself but gently and within your limits of strength and times of fatigue. Thank you for reply.

1 Like

I was gifted a Fitbit xmas 2020 I had been talking about trying to lose weight
I started doing keep fit via zoom 3 times a week with a local cancer charity which I’m still doing
It’s seated and I use weights
I managed to lose 2 stone up to my relapse in 2021 put on a stone and I have since lost that stone and hoping to lose a little more by adjusting what food I consume
My resting heart rate was 62-68
Then it shot up 68-90 through treatment now it’s returning to 68-70

On my iPhone in the last year it’s offered something called trends and you can get awards by moving
I like a challange
As I’m still shielding I walk around downstairs aiming for 10,000 steps a day climbing “hills” the stairs

I also have an app and I’m walking in the Pyrenees via walk the distance app
59 miles so far since July 13th
Not bad for walking around my house :smiley:
I’m 55

I also do yoga via cancer charity on zoom

1 Like

@Erica
I’m fitter than I have been in a long time thanks to covid :smiley:

1 Like

Gosh @2DB you seem to be doing rather well if I may say so.
Your exercise includes a lot of self motivation which is why it is so impressive.
I live in a flat on the ground floor so I really need to get some stairs exercise…
I do my Pilates weekly and I am an outside walker.
Look after yourself and keep going with the Pyrenees

2 Likes

It is a lot to do with motivation
Some days are harder than others
I feel better for doing it on those days
I still have cake but not every day :smiley:
Banned the biscuits too

All of us are doing great in our own little ways

2 Likes

Yep, @2DB and @Stuart52 I also have Covid to thank for Zoom Pilates and exercise classes.
Before Covid I think I was obsessed with going to the gym.
When Covid isolation started I was determined not to put on weight, so we decided to stay in our usual routines and I banned biscuits, they could have been my downfall.
I had 8 Pilates DVD’s and I did those, one a day, in rotation at home. I am my biggest critic, but I also have an idealised vision of what I am doing!!!
@Stuart52 I really liked your last sentence ‘What I see now is that it’s important to push yourself but gently and within your limits of strength and times of fatigue.’ I shall remember those words.
I also still have the odd treats, usually chocolate.
Thanks both of you for your wise words and be kind to yourselves

@Erica i can’t seem to find private message function for anyone

1 Like

Hi @2DB it is not a function that I usually use, but if you click on the picture of the person in the top right hand corner it says ‘message’ and then you can private message the person.

1 Like

There is nothing like that here is a screen shot of your profile

1 Like

Hi @2DB you are right with my profile, great apologies.
However there is on yours and others I have checked.
I think it is because I am a Forum Support Volunteer.
As I have been on this forum since the start I think it must be how I was set up originally and my role has sort of evolved.
@TanyaBloodCancerUK is this right?

1 Like

Hi @2DB and @Erica, thank you for raising this. I’m going to double check and get back to you tomorrow if that’s okay, to make sure I’m giving you the right information.
Best wishes,
Tanya.

2 Likes

Hello @2DB, @Erica and @TanyaBloodCancerUK, out of interest I don’t seem able to private message anyone either. I have tapped on several members pictures or names but the option to send a private message isn’t coming up. Thanks. Willow x

2 Likes

Hi all, thanks again for raising this! So just to confirm, that’s correct that there is not an option to private message other forum members- this is to ensure the safety of all of our forum members as this is a public space. We do hope you understand. If there are any members that both wish to reach out to one another beyond the forum, as long as they are over 18, we might be able to help - please do drop us a line, although we’ll need consent from those involved :slight_smile: (support@bloodcancer.org.uk).

If any questions do just give us a shout.

1 Like

That’s what I love to hear Erica, you seem to be doing all that is right for you, and your diversity of exercise is amazing.

My own thing is, 30 minutes slow deep breathing, followed by horizontal working of all the muscle groups, ending with a 20 minute jog/dance to music. A couple of minutes of one leg standing, and crunches, with some rotating knee work.

All this is done as soon as I wake, no training kit, or travel, the only downside is that it is a solitary pursuit, and I do appreciate the value of soclal interaction, whilst exercising.

It doesn’t really matter what we do, as long as we persistently, move something, somehow, somewhere, sometime :grinning:

All th best. Ron

1 Like