Preparing for our 40 night cruise to the Carribean

I expect many people will think j am foolish but if the ship sails j will be on it. Life is passing by so quickly. I rang my GP to ask if I could have some of the new treatment tablets to take with me in case I catch covid. As I expected the answer was no. In fact he didn’t seem to know much about them. He thought you needed to be admitted to hospital to receive the treatment through a drip but I thought it was in tablet firm. I have received a letter from the NHS telling me I would be eligible for the treatment should catch it
My GP said he would try to find out more information and get back to me. In the nearside Iam busy stocking up with sun cream and swimwear for my trip. I will need a spare suitcase for all ny mecication!
No problem getting 3 months supply so that is a step in the right direction.

2 Likes

Hi @ilivesunshine I know how long you have been longing for this cruise.
Just a thought but it might be worth asking the cruise line owners if they are going to stock any of the drips/tablets on board if anyone vulnerable tests positive for Covid and what paperwork you might need.
I am just visualising your your suitcases !!
Let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Hi @ilivesunshine Thanks for posting on this topic, it’s really interesting to know what options are available for people similar in your situation.
As @Erica suggested, maybe contacting the cruise line’s medical team directly if possible asking what protocol they have should a CEV passenger have access to if they test +ve whilst onboard. Also in relation to your discussion with your GP around the new covid treatments and what this entails- our webpage linked below does talk somewhat about both the antiviral medication ( tablet form) & the monoclonal antibody therapy ( infusion) - Antibody and antiviral treatments for people with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK.
It may be useful to share this with your GP which may also help facilitate the conversation moving forwards.
I must also say a 40 night cruise right now sounds complete bliss and i best the excitement levels are high.
I do hope you manage to have the most well deserved wonderful break and feel free to bring back the sunshine with you,

Take Care Lauran

2 Likes

Update on our cruise. We are not going! We got an email from the cruise company a couple if days ago saying it is now sailing later and has been shortened to 32 days. After careful consideration we decided to cancel. We now feel the risks outweigh the benefits
However we have booked 2 weeks in Lanzarote, going on Thursday. So on the plus side we will get to the sun sooner. Not the Carribean but it should be pleasantly warm

I don’t know if this has already been mentioned on the forum. I read in the morning paper that on 13th February a new drug to treat covid will be available for efxtremely vulnerable It went on to say that it will enable us to live a normal life.
Whilst this is good news that is not entirely true. If I catch covid while out of the UK I will be unable to access the treatment. So does this mean extremely vulnerable can live a normal life but can ever safely travel abroad?
I asked my GP if i lscould have some to take with me but apparently not. l

2 Likes

Oh, @ilivesunshine I know how long and much you were looking forward to your cruise, that light at the end of the tunnel.
Well 2 weeks in Lanzarote also sounds appealing right now.
I have not read the newspaper article but that statement about us being able to live a normal life, well, I wonder if the person writing the article had any practical or medical knowledge at all???
Enjoy your much needed sunshine and I look forward to hearing all about your holiday.
Spoil yourselves

1 Like

Update on our 2 weeks in Lanzerote. We have been here almost a week and feel very safe. Social distancing in the hotel is very good. Staff and guests required to wear masks when walking around the hotel and the grounds. It is so good to feel the winter sun. Temperatures around 20deg. We will be booking another 2 weeks somewhere else when we get home. Ps my GP didnt get back to me on the new treatments. He was supposed to be ringing me.

2 Likes

Relaxing by the pool

3 Likes

Some lovely walks

3 Likes

Oh @ilivesunshine it looks so inviting and I am so glad you are feeling safe, it means that you can feel relaxed too.
Thanks for the photos, enjoy your sunshine

1 Like

I am feeing pleased with myself having just climbed up an extinct volcano right to the top of the mountain. My husband said i wouldn’t make it but i kept going!
I must say i am not looking forward to coming home with Boris letting covid infected people roam

about unchecked. How is everyone else feeling about this?

3 Likes

Wow @ilivesunshine what a feat and what views.
Do you know I sort of feel quite flat and resigned about Boris easing and lifting restrictions I have decided it is just for political gain and I am just listening to the medical professions and Blood Cancer UK.
I would like to see Covid numbers going down to nearer the levels flu was a few years ago.
I cannot control what others do, only what I do to keep myself safe and at some point I am going to intergrade into society, as safely as I can.
Enjoy your holiday and stay safe

We are safely back home now. Back late Thursday just before the storm. We went dancing on Friday but had had to miss our Sunday session as i was so tired. I think all the activities we we did whilst away has caught up with me.
I really wont feel safe with restrictions gone but it does seem cases are going down so maybe wont be so bad.
I went to see my grandchildren on Saturday. It was the 6 year olds birthday. We were talking about age. He asked how old i was. He guessed right, 66. Then he said grandma you have almost lived your life. Quite profound for a 6 year old. It made me think!

2 Likes

Glad that you are home safe and sound @ilivesunshine.
I also always find things catch up with me once I get home.
It must have been lovely to see you grandchildren on Saturday.
Happy birthday to your 6 (going on 16) yr old
They always say ‘out of the mouths of babes’!!!

2 Likes

Update on my travels with ET. We are now in Benalmedena on the sunny Costa del Sol. Unfortunately it is not sunny today. Quite chilly and currently raining.
It is nice to get away though and we do feel safer here in Spain where masks are still required indoors and in busy outdoor areas.
We caught the bus to a market in Fungerola this morning. All on board wearing masks. Had a nice lunch in a restaurant with an open front so plenty of fresh air. Our hotel is a short walk from a lovely marina with lots of outdoor cafes and bars.

I had a message yesterday from someone on the Carribean cruise we cancelled. They are

confined to their cabin having caught covid. Quite a few cases on board so we are not sorry we cancelled.

4 Likes

Wow @ilivesunshine you were right to cancel the cruise you were so longing for, weren’t you.
Benalmedena on the sunny Costa del Sol where you feel safe sounds wonderful and far better than being stuck in a cabin in the middle of nowhere.
Enjoy and I hope the weather improves for you.

1 Like

Thank you Erica. It has been lovely today. We caught the bus to Mijas. Felt very safe. Everyone wearing masks and only a few passengers. Warm enough to eat outside.

1 Like

2 Likes

Oh what a photo @ilivesunshine, it sounds as if it is safer where you are than where we are.
Weather glorious here today for mid March.
Enjoy

1 Like

Did a yoga class today and salsa lesson. The tutor said the area we are in has a very low covid rate so that is reassuring to know.

2 Likes

Oooohhhh @ilivesunshine Yoga and Salsa sounds brilliant to me.
Enjoy

1 Like