How has the past month been for you?

@Nichola75 ah I never been to Norfolk before ! but sounds like there’s a lot to do there? :smiley: :+1:

@erica you’re right! it can be so tricky to pick just one! which was the last place you visited? :grin:

@DavidAmbassador I’m so sorry to hear this David, but thank you so much for posting a link to your thread, wishing you all the very best for March :+1:

1 Like

Hi @SuBloodcancerUK, @Nichola75 and @DavidAmbassador the last place I visited was Liverpool and I was really interested from the sea trading and slave history to the 60’s music. I also thought that the regeneration of the city after the WW2 bombings has been integrated sensitively and today it is definitely worthy of being the City of Culture a couple of years back.
There is a lot of seating built in within the city and I hear there are a lot of different ad hoc cultural experiences. Of course the Ferry across the Mersey was wonderful and I loved all the music. We were also able to walk around the city easily and it has a mixture of shopping opportunities and eateries and if you look up it is surprising what beautiful architecture you can see. As a first time visitor on a nice day I can recommend an open top bus experience to get orientated.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

We hope you are all okay and keeping safe during these difficult times :+1:

We’re just checking in with you all, how has the last month of March been for you?

Please do feel free to share anything on your mind,

Su

1 Like

Gosh, @SuBloodcancerUK, I just don’t know what to say, I think it has been an absolute rapid, scary rollercoaster. I have gone from someone who collected their prescription one day, with my exercise routine, fresh air and social interactions mapped out to being in isolation here with different anxieties. I was a person who watched the news on TV once, perhaps twice a day and did not have the TV on during the day to someone with the TV on far more with never ending coronavirus programmes, presentations from the government, interviews, ‘experts’ opinions etc. to someone that only watches the news once a day and doesn’t have the TV on during the day again. I am technically challenged. I used to to work in person with people, but I am now working on Skype and with friends, I am contacting lots of family and friends either ones I usually see locally or that are on my Christmas card list. I have actually written 2 letters to my sister and friends. I can now also do video WhatsApp calls. I am inundated with WhatsApp messages and texts. I am also dreading getting our phone bill. I have noticed my emotions are more easily exacerbated, especially when I was trying on sort out on line grocery deliveries and a lost prescription. I have to admit to stocking up on groceries before others cottoned on. I had a telephone appointment with my consultant which went well. I was surprised how affected I was when I received a couple of NHS letters to tell me to isolate, the black and white and highlighted starkness really shook me and made me realise I am not as immortal, as I had hoped. I have been really touched by neighbours and our flats’ gardener who have offered us help with shopping and a local charity and our bank rang to offer their assistance. I am surprised how well I have adapted to isolation in our flat and I am in a good routine. I am using cream and oil on my head to hopefully help the unwanted return of pre cancerous growths which is timely as nobody can see me. I feel reliably informed and supported by Blood Cancer UK, which must be working under such challenging conditions. But to end with I feel so supported and cared for by other forum members and really feel we will all support each other through these scary times.

1 Like

Hi @SuBloodcancerUK and @Erica - it’s certainly been a crazy month.

It sounds like you’ve had a steep learning curve with technology Erica! I hope you are coping well with all the changes, I know how much you value your social life (and your keep fit classes!). It’s definitely a scary time and rollercoaster just about sums it up. Things are changing all the time and it’s hard to keep up.

We are doing ok. In theory Hugo’s immune system should be fine as he’s 18 months in remission, but he received the NHS letter so we are being extra careful and keeping him home other than for the odd walk. My dad has CLL and isn’t too well at the moment (either with corona or something else) so that’s a bit of a worry too. But otherwise we are fine. We don’t mind being at home and I feel very lucky that we have each other.

I hope everyone else is well. It’s good to see that the forum is so active, it’s more important than ever that we talk to each other x

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear your dad isn’t well at the moment Lisa! That must be tough for you during this worrying time. I do hope he improves soon. Do remember we are only a phone call away if you want to talk anything through.

Hope Hugo and Henry are doing OK and the home schooling is going alright!

Yes it’s great that the forum is active - people are so supportive and friendly to one another on here. We are seeing an increase in new members too. I’m really glad people are becoming more aware of the support available to them should they need it.

1 Like

Hi Lisa, please keep us posted how your dad is, it must be an extra worry for you at these isolated times. Take care of yourselves.

Thanks ladies. Unfortunately I had to call for an ambulance for my dad yesterday. He was admitted and has been put on a ventilator. Looking very likely that it’s corona. Hopefully he just needs a blast of oxygen and will be on the road to recovery. It’s a scary time and horrible not to be able to see him, but I’m trying to stay positive. Stay safe everyone, this virus is vicious xxx

1 Like

Gosh, Lisa, yes, this virus really is vicious, and it literally really brings it home to us all. We are here to support you through this, your whole family is really precious to us all and I cannot imagine what it is like not being able to be with your dad. xxxxxxxxxxxx

Really hoping he starts to feel a little better soo . Sending lots of love x

1 Like

Lisa I’m so sorry to hear this. We have everything crossed for your dad. I can only imagine how worrying it must be for you and how hard it must be to not be able to see him. We are thinking of you and as always, are only a phone call away.

Alice

1 Like

Thank you so much Erica. Lots of love to you. Keep safe xx

1 Like

Hello @MrsGriff, @Erica, @Alice_BloodCancerUK & anyone else reading this,
March - What a month!
It’s surreal, like a movie & so worrying for everyone, whether vulnerable or not.
@MrsGriff, I really hope your Dad’s improving. It’s so worrying.
My Mum’s carehome rang last week to inform us that they had a case & 3 suspected on her floor. We were asked, if she caught it, would we want her to go to hospital or to receive end of life care where she is? What a decision!
We moved my 84yr old father into our annex when I started self-isolation, as he lives alone since my mother’s Altzeimers got too much for us to cope with & she went into a local care home nearly 2yrs ago. At least I know he’s being fed properly & can make sure he is isolating.
My isolation started 17th March after I queried the government statement re: ‘having no spleen’ with my consultant. Even though I’m 11.5yrs post SCT & in remission from AML, I remembered that the reason I took penicillin daily was because they thought there was the possibility that they’d killed my spleen with the 10 day conditioning chemo pre transplant.
I assumed it’d take a few days for her reply due the the tailspin this would have caused @ the transplant unit, but to my surprise she called me back an hour later. She advised me to start self-isolation & order my groceries online. (Well, we all know how tricky that’s been!) She also said to use the rules I had to follow when first emerging from hospital. However, as I am lucky to live in a little rural village in West Sussex, I do go out for a walk most days & have been undergoing all those job since in the garden that never get done.
My husband is finding this period the worst, I & my father don’t really notice much difference.
I do miss ‘people contact’ but have been meeting friends for virtual coffee mornings & swapping isolation stories. I especially make sure to check in with friends whom I already know have slight mental health issues from time to time. Just being able to see someone as you chat makes so much difference.
I miss popping to the shops too. Never thought I’d say that!
I received my NHS letter 2nd April & was quite surprised…after all that time from SCT. I have registered because all 3 of us have health issues & are isolating & it’s a 30 mile round trip to Click+Collect, which i don’t have a problem with people saying they don’t mind doing but it’s a big ask even when you cover their petrol. So I’m waiting for any of the supermarkets I have accounts with to offer me a delivery slot.
I have sat up into the early hours of the morning & managed to get a delivery slot for next week.
When I emerged from hospital all those years ago, I wondered what my new ‘normal’ would be…strange I find myself wondering the same thing & when that will be.
I do have weekly highlights when my son brings bits over to supply us ‘oldies’, as he brings my 23 month old grandson who runs around on our large front garden whilst Grumps & Grandma :older_woman: hang out the windows chatting. Poor little fella can’t work out why he can’t come indoors, he keeps going to the front door & we have to say we’re poorly & he can’t come in.
I turn 60 on May 10th & my nephew(also my godson) turns 18, my grandson turns 2 on June 23rd, all events that have been postponed until this is over.
Roll on the end/vaccination.
Please keep safe.
Christine

2 Likes

Hi Christine, it is so difficult to explain to little ones what is going on whilst being honest, but not to scare them. Then you also have your challenges with your parents as well. Please keep posting how you are and how you are doing, so much has happened in a few weeks.

@Erica @Corfu80 Hi both, I hope all is okay with you Christine. As you say, Erica, it can be so tricky when there are children involved and explaining things to them. Christine, do you find anything helps with this?

1 Like

In reply I would say mixed emotions sum up 2020 in general
Concerned for all vulnerable groups including Blood Cancer Patients.
Sad because of what is happening in the world & grateful that I’m not worse off, not that I’m selfish.
Ive been frustrated, but that is really the least of my concerns.
I have been relieved at late U turns by the Government, but will not say anymore incase I get in trouble AGAIN.
I’m optimistic about the future thanks to the Scientists.

1 Like

Hi @anon06, I agree it has been a year of a roller coaster of emotions for me, I have got elated when I got an online delivery slot, angry at the TV contents and in tears, without warning, over nothing.
I had a feeling of sadness over the last week and I think it is since I told my son not to come round over Christmas because of Tier 4 and Covid. I am also very grateful to the scientists and their dedication and to Blood Cancer UK for keeping us informed in a readable way.
Take care and stay safe.
How has the last few months been for others?

1 Like

It’s been so hard not seeing people Erica and I know how much you have missed your son. How has he been over the festive period?

1 Like

My son has been OK over the festive period, he just says it is what it is.
I realise others have really struggled on their own, please let us know how it has been?

1 Like

It was certainly a difficult Christmas all round but I’m amazed at how people (especially people on here) have made the best of it and stayed positive. I ended up having Christmas dinner with two other people in my house. None of us had planned to spend the day like this but it wasn’t so bad really. I’ve had worse Christmases. I kept in touch with family in Birmingham. My sister who has lung cancer I think had a good Christmas. Both of her children spent the day with her and my niece was able to announce on Christmas Day that she was expecting a baby so my sister will get to be a grandparent before her cancer fully takes hold. My other 2 siblings are a bit harder work and are less positive people so I’m not always sure how to deal with them. Work in progress :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like